Maintenance on Stewart F9

dmirguy

Hi folks - I have a Stewart F9 that is growling when I run it. I have used Labelle 108 oil on the gears in the gearbox on the bottom of the loco, but I haven't unshelled it and done any maintenance to the insides. It was used lightly between 2008 to 20014, then was pretty much unused until a couple weeks ago. It used to be a quiet and good runner, so any suggestions on how to quiet it back down again? Thanks in advance!

Since it was in storage for an extended time, I would run the locomotive for an hour or so to loosen up the gear lube which could have harden A BIT during storage. The noise may disappear after extended running. Even if running the locomotive reduces the noise you may want to disassemble the gear housings and clean then re-lube. This old lube is likely your problem.

If the noise continues, you may want to try lifting the locomotive off the track running leaving one truck on the track for power pickup and the other truck off the track, this may help you isolate which truck is making the noise. Then decide if you want to disassemble the noisy truck and then reinstall the gears in the truck housing after a good cleaning in alcohol. Sometimes just by running the locomotive without its shell you can determine which truck is the problem.

The Bowser website has the diagram for the Steward locomotives. Its likely the small gear near the top of the truck assembly that has turned in the housing by popping out of its retainers (holes in the truck gear housing). The parts diagram will be helpful when reassembling the gear (truck housing). Then likely re-lube the gears.

Note: The front coupler should come off the frame before removing the shell.

Other possibilities are motor bushings needing lube which can be done with the shell off..

Greg

Last edited:
Greg - thanks for suggestions. I went ahead a did one truck tonight and will do the other tomorrow. It still seems to have a little growl so I'll look into the motor bushings as well tomorrow. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Bowser site, that really helped. I hadn't fpund any other place that had any info on this loco, other than ebay etc that just want to sell it.
Thanks again,
Bill

Back