Mainline rework

It looks like things are really coming together. I hate having to tear out track, but the results of the improvement are well worth the time. Looking great.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback everyone! Yes I agree, I had way too many tracks in this area, never looked right. I like the trains going through well done scenery, not just having loads of track everywhere crowding the layout

My new backdrops should be delivered by next week. I'm waiting to install the Vollmer bridge.

I need some ideas. There is a white wall space on the back wall, where the river is. The backdrop is level with the foam. So now I need to figure out how to cover it. I was thinking of getting a small mirror, to reflect the water and make it appear as if it goes longer beyond the bridge.

Thoughts or ideas?

A mirror would work perfect. An old John Allen trick. (Gore & Daphetid RR) I had the opportunity to operate on his railroad in the late 60's. The man was a master, far ahead of the times.

Awesome layout. What are the dimensions? Also are those foam risers from the Woodland Scenics Subterrain lineup? If so, how do you like them so far? My father and I plan on using the system to build our layout.

Best regards,
Jim

Awesome layout. What are the dimensions? Also are those foam risers from the Woodland Scenics Subterrain lineup? If so, how do you like them so far? My father and I plan on using the system to build our layout.

Best regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim. The main room you see here is 12' x 15', location is Moffat Tunnel, Downtown Denver, and the front range near Colo Springs. And I also have an extension room, the track goes through the wall in an adjoining room thats 10' x 10'. That room is Cheyenne, WY with Depot Station, UP Rail Yard, and the Cheyenne Oil Refinery.

Yes those are WS 2% incline kits I use. They work great, no thinking necessary, and are easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying. It's nice to know that they work well. We are working a bit more space than you 13' x 25'. The easier it is, the more we can get done in the same amount of time, which means that we will be able to have our layout operating sooner.

Best regards,
Jim

Motley if you go with a mirror try to use a "scientific" mirror, aka one way glass, it won't give you a line where the scenery meets the glass.
Another way to go (and my favorite) is a photo against the backdrop, similar to what John Longhurst (JDL56 here) did on his M&M sub:
http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.ca/search?q=river
I lost all my pics of his layout but if you dig you'll find some great shots!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I picked up a small mirror that will fit perfect for this. Last night I painted the first coat of latex. After I get the new backdrop in, I will paint another coat of paint, and while the paint is still wet I'll do the ground cover.

I placed the mirror there temporarily to see how it will look. The backdrop will cover the top half of the mirror. To the left of the mirror I will plant some bushes.

Whatyaguys think?

P1000300.jpg

P1000301.jpg

Looks like the problem is solved. Waiting to see the pics with the bridge installed and scenery done.

I like it Michael. Put some small boats in the water so they reflex. Add a little interest under the bridge.

I took down the old backdrop. Still waiting for the new one to be delivered.

I got some of the ground cover completed last night.

P1000305.jpg

I finally got my set of backdrops delivered yesterday! Ordered them from backdrop warehouse. They are so much better than the cornfields. The paper is very heavy and really high quality. There are two of them 24" x 12' each. You can't even tell where the seem is.

I used double sided tape to attach them to the walls.

P1000316.jpg

P1000315.jpg

P1000317.jpg

P1000318.jpg

P1000319.jpg

P1000322_1.jpg

Thanks guys! Ya I'm really happy with it. Now I need to plant a bunch of pine trees so that the foreground blends in better.

I'm building the 160' girder bridge now. Need to get that in before I pour the water for the river.

Back