Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

So last week I bought this DD40 at the princely sum of $40, non runner, no motor, and thought, I have all these motors and worm gears plus drive shaft's etc. I'll get it and see if I can get it running.

1686351305256.png

When it arrived earlier today, it had some real weight to it,and something was rattling around inside, so I'm thinking it's a dummy and a weights come loose/ Imagine my surprise when I took the bodyshell off and found this.

1686351534736.png

The motor mount's had come loose, and that was it, it works just fine, I think I got a bargain with this.
Now, anyone know where I can get some metal handrails for this ???

So last week I bought this DD40 at the princely sum of $40, non runner, no motor, and thought, I have all these motors and worm gears plus drive shaft's etc. I'll get it and see if I can get it running.

When it arrived earlier today, it had some real weight to it,and something was rattling around inside, so I'm thinking it's a dummy and a weights come loose/ Imagine my surprise when I took the bodyshell off and found this.

The motor mount's had come loose, and that was it, it works just fine, I think I got a bargain with this.
Awesome purchase, Don't you love it when the chips fall your way!

Sorry will be no help on the handrails.

I hate to say it, but I don't think you'll find a picture with it patched like that. From my quick research online:

-Old UP 8615 was a former DRGW SD40T-2. It kept that number until Dec 28, 1999, when it was renumbered.

-CNW 8615 received its UP road number on Oct 19, 1999, when it was renumbered to UP 9679.

Thus, it doesn't appear that there was any opportunity for your C44-9W to be numbered 8615, as that number wasn't available in the UP roster until 12/28/99, by which point it had already been renumbered to UP 9679. Exactly when it was repainted to full UP colors, I'm not certain. I would guess at the same time it was renumbered, in October 1999 (There is a picture of it at RRpicturearchives in UP colors dated 1/1/99. I suspect that date is incorrect, however--I think that website uses 'January 1' for any unknown date).

My intuition is that the former owner of your loco used decals intended for either that SD40T-2, or for the current iteration of UP 8615, which is an SD70ACe.

Sources:
Thanks for researching this. I am going to check a few other sites before I change it. I have some decals for renumbering it to a protoype number. We will see what it will end up being.

Maybe on eBay. I found handrails for my Tyco spirit of 76 locomotives on eBay. Some were brand new old stock never opened!

Yes, I've bought more than one set. Those locomotives became an obsession. I have over a dozen now.
Thanks, I found a guy, but he's in the US so I've the usual issue with that.

I know about obsession, for some reason I buy nearly any EMD Demo I can afford to get. :D

Thanks for researching this. I am going to check a few other sites before I change it. I have some decals for renumbering it to a protoype number. We will see what it will end up being.

Yup. Something else I came across after posting, I think the previous owner used Microscale decal sheet MC-4328. The numbers "8615" are adjacent on that sheet. I'm guessing they did it in part because it was easier to do as one decal, instead of maneuvering individual digits together.

mc4328_mark.jpg

Yup. Something else I came across after posting, I think the previous owner used Microscale decal sheet MC-4328. The numbers "8615" are adjacent on that sheet. I'm guessing they did it in part because it was easier to do as one decal, instead of maneuvering individual digits together.

View attachment 169698
Ah ha! I believe you are right! Well I will be renumbering it for sure! Although I will find a prototype to follow as close as I can.

Thanks! For your efforts in researching I appreciate it!

I think the majority will need couplers and added weights. I think I'll use the lead weights that can be snapped apart like they use in Pinewood derby cars. I'll just need a bunch of them.

View attachment 169659

View attachment 169660

I recommend PPW-Aline.com
787895E6-F79F-4AA5-8CCE-1C7C1A293F23.png

Good morning from the workbench home in WIsconsin. While traveling I did quite a bit of retail online therapy this week. My way of keeping the economy moving.

Just a couple of the many things going to be rolling in:

from Scaletrains, 4 tank cars. These are the cars that failed the ST Quality Control inspections and instead of the $49 or so $ retail they were purchased direct for $27.99 and still qualified for free shipping. Non-returnable I was a bit apprehensive but I am a modeler and feel they couldn’t be that bad. They are not. I inspected my 4 very carefully and other than some that looks like oil spots/steaks on the tank I find nothing else wrong. Reading online most of the folks are stating the same thing but a few. A few say they have broken trucks that I actually find hard to believe but, it’s America… I just ordered a bunch more cars

Be careful if buying on Facebook. These cars without you being told are being sold at a discount from the normal ST price but still $12 more then buying direct. You can tell by checking the car numbers and reporting marks that these are the QC rejects
IMG_4424.jpeg
Next up is 11 Walthers Proto series of formerly hard to get Sulfur cars, now they seem to be everywhere. I was buying at a high for 2 of $50 each in May. These were purchased for $28 each last week.
IMG_4425.jpeg
My Amazon order for paints and supplies is out for delivery today. There are a few things coming from Lombard Hobby, Hiawatha and Midwestmodel RR today per the USPS email stating what’s coming.

The weathering process for the 15 cars above will soon be documented in my Continuous Weathering thread…

enjoy your day

Another delivery. I ordered these yesterday morning while on the plane from Lombard Hobbies, these are for me

IMG_0423.jpeg
The usual bag of Fruit Snacks that the grandkids love, another carry bag and the wheel gauge business card. I purchased 3 of the HO scale Gunderson Plate F box cars 50’. 2 numbers for AOK and 1 COER. The 3 containers are also for me for a project down the road…

I did separately purchase a case of 18 Aurora TBOXx50’ yellow box cars that since I ordered yesterday I have commitments for 14 of them. Very modern cars, build date is 2017 so they will show some grime and light graffiti but not much. They are not here yet! The Aurora Miniatures are absolutely gorgeous, they roll very well and are heavy weighted cars. The couplers SUCK and they droop. They will get replaced by Kadees and shimmed if need be

Finally, a lost in the USPS system box from Hiawatha Hobbies, that Hiawatha made good on. A UP modern Kenworth truck. This is to go along with the project down the road. About a month ago I ordered this and it was shipped the next day. A week later it was in Oregon per USPS tracking. I called Hiawatha yesterday and they sent out a new one. Here 2day.
IMG_0422.jpeg
I am very happy I am close to 2 exceptional Hobby shops that also have great online service. 75 miles from Hiawatha and 125 miles from Lombard.

I feel pampered with 2 of them within 5 miles. There used to be a 3rd until just recently.
I understand. My LHS is only 5 miles away but his selection is getting thinner. He does give an automatic 20% off everything and is where I go for most supplies. Paints though, he has stopped carrying Vallejo and that is my main paint.

Ugh... was just in my LHS here in the Fort...

Needed Vallejo Brown Violet, THE color for WWII US Vehicles and helmets... Ran a finger along the rack in the brownish greens. Or greenish browns. Excellent. Fully stocked!

grabbed a bottle, looked at the label... UGH... Olive Drab

So NOT the same colour.

Found the Olve Drab slot, and it wa full of Olive Brown... Huh?

Someone doesn't understand paint colors... Even though the term "olive Drab" has been around since before WWII, that particular colour as reprented in the Vallejo line, didn't get adopted by the US military until Korea. The green for vehicles in WWII was slightly browner.

Back