Magazines

TaeOH

or just Tom...
I would like to subscribe to a few Train Modeling magazines and I am looking for recommendations if you subscribe to any.

Model Railroader seems like an obvious choice, but I wanted to know what this forum thought.

I just got a subscription to model railroader.

Only thing I hate about any hobby magazine is the amount of ads in it.

For every page of content, there seems to be be 2 or 3 of ads

The two mainstays of the model railroading world are Model Railroader (MR) and Railroad Model Craftsman (RMC). Each has its merits. There are other more specialized magazines targeted at specific niche areas within the overall hobby, but those two are the basics. I have subscriptions to both and enjoy them both.

Also, don't overlook a free web-based magazine coming out in January, Model Railroad Hobbyist. One of the lead guys behind this "e-zine" is Joe Fugate, a regular on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Model Railroader is a good overall mag. Model RR Craftsman is more geared to the scratchbuilder & basher. Iv'e subscribed to both for years, don't like the price increase on MRR, (haven't heard from MRC yet) will probably have to cancell one.
Used to subscribe to Model Rr News, great for those entering the hobby or planning to expand, has reviews of many new products. Am really not in the market for that many new products so let that one lapse. Jerry

Alcomotive gives a nice list. Bear in mind that the Withers (Publishing), Alco 628 ( Railroad Press), & Extra 2200 are magazines based on 12" to the foot railroading.

Some companies have an introductory rate - even less than the subscription price - which is usually less than the cover (per issue) price.

I have been receiving Model railroader for about 45 years & I cancelled this year. My last issue is Fe. 09. I also stopped getting Railroad Model Craftsman this year after getting it for about 30 years. They are getting to pricey for me. In the last 5 years they have been bringing back articles from the 50's & 60's because they are running out of things to say for todays modeler. I'm not into DCC & most of the mags are going to be totally that in the next 2 years.
I also get Model RR News. I've been getting it off & on for about 10 years. I do like the magazine format better than the newspaper format that they use to have. I like to see all of the new stuff coming out & I just renewed it for another 3 years. The RR news covers all scales.

Larry

I would like to subscribe to a few Train Modeling magazines and I am looking for recommendations if you subscribe to any.

Model Railroader seems like an obvious choice, but I wanted to know what this forum thought.

What do you model or plan to model? Steam or diesel or transitional period of the 2? What RR? :rolleyes:

Might be an idea to pick up copies of the popular magazines at newsstands first, to see what they are like and if they cover your interests.

Around here there are only two places to get these magazines, Hobby shops that cater to model railroaders, and the Barnes and Noble bookstore.

Other news stands and retailers used to keep them but they don't any more.

Surprisingly last week I was in a one of the local Hobby Town USA stores, and the owner had never heard of RMC. All he had was MR.

Around here there are only two places to get these magazines, Hobby shops that cater to model railroaders, and the Barnes and Noble bookstore.

Other news stands and retailers used to keep them but they don't any more.

Surprisingly last week I was in a one of the local Hobby Town USA stores, and the owner had never heard of RMC. All he had was MR.

That is one of the reasons I asked the question. Frankly, outside of hobby shops all I found was an O gauge mag and MR. When I went to a hobby shop, I saw a bunch. I am looking for general mags since I am a beginner and do not know what I want to model.

You can sometime pick up past issues at train shows. Since most of the articles are rehashed, this can be a bargain. Jerry

The only one I subscribe to anymore is the Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette. It is still a good magazine for craftsmen.
As far as the other magazines go, I find web sites and message forums have far more to offer.
I was pleasantly surprised with the latest issue of Great Model Railroads from the folks at Model Railroader. My wife picked a copy up for Christmas and it had some truly great layouts in it for a change.

Having been in the hobby now going on 20 yrs I have given up on all the model railroad magazines,Its the same people wrtting about the same and doing in such a way its like they are "telling you" how to do it this year when my one ends for a N scale magzine I'm going to let it die,yeah I know the truth hurts:rolleyes:

For what its worth, I think MRR is a very good magazine - sure they have some ads (more it seemed in the Jan issue) but its next to nothing compared to the UK equivalents. It seems like you have to skip 10 pages just to get to the editorial, then another 10 to get to anything worth reading.

In terms of quality MRR wins too, they're layout, photography, articles - everything is so much better that Continental Modeller.

However, I'm seriously considering dropping my sub when it expires as I have not had a single issue delived to me since August. I have to keep e-mailing them to send a copy, and while they are very prompt to do so, all I get is a standard form reply that "we are monitoring the situation..... and by the way you can order n special issue of the magazine here"

I subscribed so I could get the magazine as it was hit and miss and only sold in Borders. Now it seems that even the domestic WH Smith sells it, and has the latest issue on the stands while I get nothing.

Its a real shame, because its a great magazine, and its always good seeing what inspiration there is each month. Its just their new International distribution methods that are letting them down (and costing them $8.50 + another issue to send a replacement to me.)

[/rant over]

:)

I think it all depends on various factors...what scale,what era, what location/country...I've subscribed to MRR, MRC and most of the UK magazines over the years. The only one I still subscribe to, and my favorite, is a small, bimonthly magazine out of the UK called Model Trains International.
Its focus is multi-scale,multi-national smaller layout modelling, not basement empires.
Heres a link to the webpage...scroll down and you can see a synopsis of the articles in each issue http://www.modeltrainsinternational.co.uk/

Be aware...the photos in the mag are all b/w...like I said its a small mag:D

i have no connection with the magazine besides being a very satisfied reader.

Cheers
Gene

Well I will hit this point again...as for getting with a historical society magazine they tend to do a a few articles on modeling. I think with mine I get 2-3 major modeling articles a year which is great for me. I do understand what some of you say about the same guys doing the same articles that does get mundane for the advance modeler. It is harder and harder to find a publication for an advanced modeler that is fresh with new stuff all the time. There was one magazine that is no longer offered for some reason I think it was called protype modellrailroading or something...some of you can help me on it...ahhhh I remembered it was called Mainline Modeler! I dont know what happened to this publication but I really liked these mags!

EDIT!

I am really surprised on what I found!!!

http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=M&proc=MM

Did MRR mag buy the rights to Mainline Modeler???? What really happened to this magazine? Can someone shed light on this?

I think mainline model went belly up when Hundman was sold I think its still around but I do recall seeing it on the rack last time I was shopping

Back