Looking to add a smooth running great sounding DCC early era Diesel to my roster

Gdelmoro

Hi all,

I want to add a 1940's - 1950's mainline Diesel to my roster.

The railroad is HO DCC modeling the transition period. Primarily weigh-freight with minor passenger service. There are two small yards (sorting & ferry).

Current Diesel roster is 2 BLI SW1500's and 1 BLI SD7. I don't want any more 6 axle diesels.

Recommendations?

I am still a DC operator but do have a few DCC locomotives. I recently picked up this Atlas Classic Gold Alco RS-1 to run at the Livingston Model railroad club which is a DCC layout. I model the transition era and also like the first generation diesels. Here it is running on my DC layout. Sound is very good and I do like the low speed control. Operations is a lot better on the DCC layout. Unfortunately, I don't have any video of it running on the club layout. Video is 1080 P.

[video=youtube;p7u1TaUkXAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7u1TaUkXAw[/video]

I would look for an RS-2/3, SD-9, RS-11, EMD-F series, E series, brass ALCO C-420 or similar. I'd recommend a C-Liner but you said no more 3 axle trucks................................

Depending on whether you can accept one from very late in the 1950's (Nov 1959 to be exact), there is the EMD GP20 , modelled by Walthers HO Proto2000 line and according to them, used at first in multiple consists for fast intermodal traffic. Here's Wikipedia's info about them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_GP20 Although they look similar to the later 2nd Gen Geeps, they are distinguished by the curved roof cab similar to Alco's locos and the short nose, slopes toward the front. Newer Proto models have either DC standard (are DCC ready) and Tsunami sound factory fitted with 2 speakers. The 2 versions have different chassis.

Hi all,

I want to add a 1940's - 1950's mainline Diesel to my roster.

The railroad is HO DCC modeling the transition period. Primarily weigh-freight with minor passenger service. There are two small yards (sorting & ferry).

Current Diesel roster is 2 BLI SW1500's and 1 BLI SD7. I don't want any more 6 axle diesels.

Recommendations?
Athearn Genesis GP7 or GP9, I remember them being produced in dual-service configuration. The easy way to tell a dual-service engine is a lack of dynamic brakes (bulge with an extra fan on the long hood), and the air tanks mounted on the roof. The air tanks were mounted there to provide room for a water tank under the frame for a steam generator for passenger car heating.

Thanks tootnkumin,
Been looking for a GP20, that would be a shiny new loco on my layout. I'll look at walthers.

Thanks to all. Is Walthers Proto 2000 GP20 still available from Walthers? I found one on eBay. I'll check for the Atlas GP 7/9. Love to find an RS-1/2/3 also.

I'll second the Atlas Gold RS-1. While I model mostly traction, I grew up close to the Milwaukee tracks. I remember watching them turn F7's on the turntable at the old roundhouse. So among all the trolleys and interurbans in my stable, I have 3 RS-1's and 3 RS-3's (a little late for my era, but I love them anyway).

Recommendations?
You will not find a smoother running locomotive than the Atlas RS-1 Master Gold. As for passenger service, the short hood was designed to take a steam generator, but I don't know if Atlas has included that feature on any of its models.

As for prototypical practice, given the locomotives your railroad already has on the roster, it would more than likely have purchased another EMC or EMD locomotive. BL2,GP7, FT, F3, F7, or for the light passenger service angle an FP7. There are several brands of fine locomotives of these types out there. Athearn Genesis, Atlas, and InterMountian have all made FP7s. Likewise Walther's Proto, Atlas, and Athearn Genesis have have made the GPs. I believe Proto, Genesis, and Bowser have all made the F7s. I believe I own at least one of each of these type/brands and I don't think you will be dissatisfied with the quality of any of them (The exception would be the Genesis which occasionally seem to shed the fine detail parts during shipping and sometimes need to be reattached - but that was never a big deal to me). So it could come down to price and which sound system you prefer. and ...

As for the sound I have found that "great sounding" can mean almost anything to anyone. To some just being loud is "good". Things I think sound like junky toys others praise as "great base", and vice versa. soooo.... Your ears are the only good judge of that. Perhaps instead of the actual sound it makes one could consider the sound features like does it have a short and long horn control, is there a Doppler effect, independent prime mover sound from throttle, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks tootnkumin,
Been looking for a GP20, that would be a shiny new loco on my layout. I'll look at walthers.

The GP20 is powered by a TURBOCHARGED EMD 567 prime mover. IMO, the Walthers GP20, and all manufacturers of turbocharged EMD prime movers (mainly 1960's and later era locomotives) are nearly impossible to enjoy because of the near dog-whistle annoying pitch intended to represent the turbocharger.

It may not bother you, or others, but I suggest that you listen to a Walthers GP20 before you buy. Slow speed and switching operations are made especially annoying by the squeel.

I'd go for the Atlas RS 1 or GP7....... or the Athearn GP7/9, which have Nonturboed EMD 567s and sound wonderfully nonannoying.

Re the Walthers GP20. When I had the shell off of the Standard DC (but DCC ready) one I've got, I took some pics of the chassis
GP20 inside 004.JPGGP20 inside 005.JPG

Note that it has 2 boards, the space at the back looks like it may take a speaker. A small decoder e.g. Loksound would possibly fit where the long board is.

Just in case you are interested in the GP20, the pictures I've shown of the model I have, are from the most recent release a couple of years ago, and come in this box, fully assembled.

s-l225.jpg

The earlier models in the larger box, before they made the sound version as well, have a different chassis, not so speaker friendly, with shell and chassis seperate.
s-l225.jpg

An additional big advantage with the late release models, including the DC standard/DCC ready ones, is the provision of LED's, no resistors needed, instead of the bulbs found in the earlier releases.

I second both Chet and Kevin on their recommendations. The Gold Line is a great source for smooth running and great sounding locomotives. I have several of the older RS-1 and GP9 locomotives that are DCC and sound equipped. All run great and no problems with DCC.

Greg

Back