looking for layout ideas!

cg51

I am about ready to start building my new layout and am looking for ideas, the layout will be built modular style with 2 4x8 sections that will make up the end units and 2 2x8' sections end to end per side to make up the straight sections for a layout 8'x24', the end units will be set up so i can join them up to make a 8x8 or add the long units.
2x8 sections would be stored in spare bedroom while not in use,

Other details
Ho scale
dual main line
Run 2 trains at a time with light switching
30" and 28" main line curves (26" min)
50-60's era Early diesel and steam
Short trains 8-10' average
Open grid benchwork
freight yard/industrial area for switching on one side of long units and country setting on the other side
Thanks for any ideas

Well, you pretty well spec'd it out for mechanical arrangement. The next question is what are you modelling? Part of a main line? Branch line? Interchange or bridge route? Is it point-to-point, folded dogbone or what? Are you running main line passenger trains, commuters, mixed train locals? What is your location? Do you have grades to contend with, or mainly flat territory? Are you running DC or DCC? How many operators will you have at a time? What sort of industries do you plan to have? Will you be running raw materials to a factory and finished product from the factory to a destination on the layout, or will the finished goods be transported "off the bench"?

For example, I have a small farm at one point on my layout. I have beef cattle which the farmer carries to loading pens. This is on a branch line. A couple of stock cars carry the cows to a nearby packing plant where they are processed. Processed meat is loaded into ice bunker 1950's era refrigerator cars, which load ice at an icing plant next to the packing plant. The refrigerator cars go to the other side of the layout to a Kroger food distribution plant. "Empty" refers go back to the packing plant area. Near the farm, but not right next to it is an open pit coal mine. Loaded hopper cars are hauled to the classification yard, where they are picked up by either a pair of SD-7's or a Burlington M2 2-10-2 or an M4 2-10-4 for a trip up a steep grade and "West" to a coal-fired electricity-generating plant. Cars are pushed in behind the plant to a grade that runs downhill behind most of the visible scenery, where they emerge back at the tunnel from whence they came originally. They are switched out of the way, and a block of empties are then pushed up the hidden grade, emerging from behind the generating plant for a trip down the visible mainline back to the mine, as though the loaded cars were emptied at the plant. I also am working on a sugar beet processing operation, where the same farmer dumps beets that are loaded into a hopper which is then taken to the processing plant. Processed grannular sugar and molassas are taken from the plant in covered hoppers, in sacks loaded in boxcars, and liquid product in tank cars. These are transported down hill to the classification yard where they are sorted and then sent back uphill to a merchandise building.

Continuous running is possible on my folded dogbone layout, and you may see the Denver Zephyr, the Empire Builder and the North Coast Limited or pooled trains, depending on my mood and what guests want to see run. If it is 1948, you will see President Harry Truman's "Whistle Stop Special" come through, with Truman and Bess and an aide on the back of the Ferdnand Magellan. At Galesburg, Illinois, a crowd is starting to gather, mostly passengers from the sidetracked Zephyrs. A man holds a six-year-old boy on his shoulders. Even though the man is a staunch Republican and will vote for Gov. Thomas Dewey, he wants his son to see The President. Sixty-four years later, I can still see and hear Harry giving 'em hell as we stood there!

Point of all this is that you need to have a story in mind or several. If I can figure out how to do it, eventually I will try to post some photo vignettes.

Trailrider, I like your way of bringing empties in and loads out. I have been planning such with a small mine and mill operation. Nice not having to actually loading or unloading cars and still having prototype movement.

Armchair

http://armchairmodeling.blogspot.com

The main operational "problem" I have is too much rolling stock, the result of about 58 years of accumulating HO scale trains! Even so, with some of it stored, the "problem" is this: the electric company plant's "spur" (that actually runs hidden downhill to the mine) comes off Track #1 at Denver's Union Station. Track #1 is where the California Zephyr, and other premium passenger trains stop. (Tracks #2 & #3 are also available, though I have some restrictions on #3 due to the turnaround loop radius which is 15-18 inches.) Coal trains must be scheduled so that Track #1 is clear and no following traffic will be coming in on the westbound main while the coal train's waycar (caboose to non-Burlington folks) can be dropped temporarily until the loaded cars are pushed onto the spur, the engine uncoupled and the waycar picked up. On occasion, if a passenger train is unloading on #1, but #2 or #3 are clear, the coal train may have to be placed on one of the remaining tracks until the Zephyr (or North Coast Limited or the Empire Builder or a local commuter run) departs. If a steam locomotive was used to pull the coal train up the 3 percent long hill from the Galesburg yard, then the steamer may be unhooked, along with the waycar, run around the return loop to the other side of the Denver yard, the waycar dropped on the caboose track, and the loco backed into the stub siding by the big coal bunker and water column. Of course, a few hoppers of coal may be reserved for the coal bunker. Because it is much easier to maneuver, a diesel switcher will be used to move the coal train, hopper cars, etc. The steamer is usually held in reserve until the empty hoppers are "unloaded" at the electric plant (a string of empties are pushed up the hidden track from the other end), and then returns to Galesburg, where a pair of "Q" "blackbirds" (gray over black) pick up the empties to return to the Coaltown Branch mine. Makes for interesting operation, even though I'm not really an "operations" modeller. :)

There's a gazillion track plans on the internet that can be found easily using Google or your browser. Do a search using "modular", your scale, size, RR &/or whatever other parameters you'd like as part of your search. You're bound to find more than one to your liking. And remember they are just lines on paper, i.e. not cast in concrete. You can change them as you please. Also take a look at the several CAD program layout files.

Trairider, at the risk of hijacking this thread (really not my intention) I most sincerely ask that you post some (many) pictures of your layout and a drawing of your trackplan here or in another thread, if you were to be so kind. It sounds like you have given some thought to your layout and it is especially interesting to me because of your modeling of some aspect of the Q. I live south of Galesburg, near the Beardstown Sub tracks and your description of modeling the Q caught my attention. I'm planning on starting a new layout this fall based on the Burlington about 1960 to 1965 in the Midwest and would love to hear some more input from you.

Trairider, at the risk of hijacking this thread (really not my intention) I most sincerely ask that you post some (many) pictures of your layout and a drawing of your trackplan here or in another thread, if you were to be so kind. It sounds like you have given some thought to your layout and it is especially interesting to me because of your modeling of some aspect of the Q. I live south of Galesburg, near the Beardstown Sub tracks and your description of modeling the Q caught my attention. I'm planning on starting a new layout this fall based on the Burlington about 1960 to 1965 in the Midwest and would love to hear some more input from you.

I'll have to second this request. I don't recall seeing photos of Trailrider's layout.

You should create a new thread....

I'd love to post pictures! How do I do that? Do I need to get an account with some Photobucket or somesuch? :confused:

Yes sign up with photobucket its free. Upload your photos there first, then copy the shared URL, and then post here.

OK. Thanks! I'll see what I can do. I've got a small digital camera, but haven't tried it where I need depth of field. (Used to take pictures with a 35mm with a pinhole attachement.)

Back