Looking for information on antique Lionel

Boomn4x4

I just acquired my wife's grandfather's Lionel O gauge trains set from when he was a young boy. From my research, the train is a Lionel #5 Special, which dates to about 1920. I can post some photos later.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm looking for some restoration help.

The train engine itself runs... though not very well. The train will go around the track as long as the throttle on the transformer is at 100%, and there is no load on the train. It won't start up on its own with even 1 car attached.

I would first assume that the train motor simply needs a good cleaning, I've read Goo Gone and some pipe cleaners are a good start? My second question however, one in which I'm not finding my expertise on, is if the transformer I have will properly power the train. There is some question as to the fact that if trains that old actually ran on 18v, or if they were powered by more?

Also, if anyone has any general information on the train, I would certainly be interested in hearing what you have to say.

This train carries a significant amount of sentimental value, my mother in law had tears in her eyes when she gave it to me. It would be really important to not only her, but also to me to see my 2 year old son enjoy his great grandfather's train just as he did almost 100 years ago.

Thank you,

Mike B.

I would first contact your LHS to see if they know of anyone. That is if you have one. The second thing would be to contact the TCA, Train Collectors Association at;

http://traincollectors.org

and see if there are any members in the nearby area who could at the least, steer you to a restorer.

Thanks for all your help guys. I, going against most of your advice, decided to try and get it running myself. I did a pretty detailed inspection of the train, specifically checked the condition of the wires. Also took pictures of the wires and drew out the schematics of them just in case I broke a wire and needed to replace it. Took the train body apart, only took three screws which came out easily. Gave the motor a hard soaking with goo-gone and let it sit. Blew it out with an air compressor. Resoaked it with more goo-gone. Then went at it with an old nylon baby bottle brush. A couple spots needed some extra attention with some pretty heavy build up, I found a wire .22 brush from my gun cleaning kit a perfect tool. One more soaking... one more air compressor blast and a few drops of Remington gun oil and it was back on the track.... Runs GREAT!!! I couldn't quite get it to pull the tender, boxcar, and caboose.... wheels just spun, but it ran great without the tender. I'm sure if I oiled up the wheels on the cars I could get it going, but I'm not too interested on stressing the motor any more than I need too.

Here's a quick video of the train in action.
th_2c531e6d.jpg

Also took some pictures.
9c859a63.jpg

c6edc083.jpg

c1d7cd67.jpg

887a8811.jpg

836ab1ef.jpg

6f54168a.jpg

Now that the motor is clean you should just oil up those wheels and get them turning and pull your train! That is, at least, what I would do :D. You aren't going to put that much stress on the motor from those few cars (unless they're pretty heavy?) so I would say now that you have it running smooth you should be fine. Cool looking set!

If you find yourself stumped, you might consider giving the Service Department at Caboose Hobbies a call (303.777.6766). They're quite knowledgeable, and deal with a lot of older items.

Hello, My friend that is a Standard Gauge Lionel # SiX and tender, box car and caboose nice looking set I love to see it thanks. One the first engines that Lionel made in production, It is very old set I would say it would be a round 1909 vintage. Man that's a cool set and very neat. Thanks longbow57ca.

Hello again I was wrong it is not 1909 vintage it is 1906 vintage I checked my Lionel book to make sure for you thanks longbow57ca.

G'day...Keep a look out for Bruette (Louis)..he's in Baltimore and he knows a lot about Lionel of all ages...I'll let him know if he misses this thread..Cheers Rod

That's a lovely set of Lionel trains. I love the patina on the locomotive and cars. Were they mine, I would leave them just as they are now that you have the locomotive running well. It's not just that they are more valuable as they are, but they just look better showing their age.

Back