Looking for HO kit with large window for layout's watering hole...really!

PMW

Thanks for clicking on this!

I bought an HO window sign from Miller Engineering. It's bigger than I expected, maybe N scale would have been better? It's the "Drunken Crab" sign, those familiar with "Family Guy" may recognize it!

I've been looking online for an HO building which could pass as a bar and also has a window to accommodate the sign...probably needs to be about a scale 8' wide and 6' high. I've found some that look like good candidates but it's difficult to tell the exact size of the window from a picture.

Any suggestions? Thanks, all!

The HO scale old Two Brothers Restaurant kit has a window on the front and a window on the side that each measure 1 1/8" wide by 7/8" high. Would those windows be large enough?

Attachments

• Con-Cor-901-Two-Brothers-Restaurant-HO-Scale-Building.jpg
    Con-Cor-901-Two-Brothers-Restaurant-HO-Scale-Building.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 119
  • ho.jpg
    ho.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 124
  • ho restaurant.jpg
    ho restaurant.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 136
I have noticed that most HO scale Miller Engineering window signs are too large to be practical for window use. I would suggest using some DPM modular walls, specifically the storefront rectangular ones to fit your needs. Here's a structure that I built using them. I would cut out the window muntins to make a large single pane unit.
07-18-20 001 (2).JPG

I don't know the measurements right off the top of my head, but I will measure it tomorrow when I go out to the train shed. I'd guesstimate that this one is 8' tall and 10' wide, based on a comparison to the door.

I have noticed that most HO scale Miller Engineering window signs are too large to be practical for window use. I would suggest using some DPM modular walls, specifically the storefront rectangular ones to fit your needs. Here's a structure that I built using them. I would cut out the window muntins to make a large single pane unit.
View attachment 131949
I don't know the measurements right off the top of my head, but I will measure it tomorrow when I go out to the train shed. I'd guesstimate that this one is 8' tall and 10' wide, based on a comparison to the door.

Yeah, that;ll work! Thanks

The wall that I used in the pictured structure is from this kit.
I was close, I measured the opening today and it's 9.5' wide by 7.5' tall. You will need other walls to complete the structure, but you may already have them. Look around the hobby websites and you will find all of the DPM products cheaper than the manufacturer's site.

The wall that I used in the pictured structure is from this kit.
I was close, I measured the opening today and it's 9.5' wide by 7.5' tall. You will need other walls to complete the structure, but you may already have them. Look around the hobby websites and you will find all of the DPM products cheaper than the manufacturer's site.

Perfect, thanks! This might be exactly the direction I go.

If it's too big for the space I have I'll see if I can cut it down like a background building or just use the front as a flat.

Of course other options are still welcome!

Thanks
Paul

Back