Looking For Grade Crossing System HO

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I have a Walthers grade crossing light flashing kit but it only serves one track.
I've looked over the internet for something that will serve two tracks and has a more realistic appearance but haven't found anything suitable.
I'm currently using the Railroad Company Train Controller Silver software for block detection and signal control, so the block system is already established.

If each track the opposite direction can you not simply have 2 Walthers grade crossing kits side by side, each with its own block detection, say ?

Last edited:
Are you looking at gates or just flashing lights? Depending on whether you have space underneath the surface to mount actuation devices or not (in my case, both the crossings on my layout lay smack over the supporting structure...great planning! For flashers actuated by infrared detectors, Azatrax has great systems, and you can integrate them with crossing gates and actuators.

It's worth keeping in mind too that grade crossing flashers are stand-alone, and are triggered by the occupancy of the approach block alone. If a detectable locomotive or car enters the crossing blocks--I think there are usually two, one for trains at speed, the other for simple low-speed movements--the gates or signals will start flashing, and the gates may drop. That's the way I've seen them here in the western US anyway.

ultimately, I want to install gates as well. I think the sensors embedded in the track will have to be the means of triggering the system because the road is in a rural setting and no structures to hide cross track sensors.
As for the supporting structure, I can move that as needed and provide what I do need to support the Tortoise machines, control boards and track sensors.

20220927_064228.jpg

The track is on 3/4" plywood. The blue foam is fitted to the plywood.
20220927_064504.jpg

Thanks for the lead James.
That got me to plugging around the internet again. I don't know if I would want to get involved with an organization named, "Wehonest". Instinct says no.
I found Azatrax and they seem to have the complete system components that I would need.
I left them a message to confirm what I have in my cart there is adequate to do what I want to do.

Another concept:
Since trains are repeatedly going to go by this grade crossing in likely every session, why not just have gates on both sides always in the down position and have only cross bucks lite up on side we can see ( IE. I doubt the dual track is on a peninsula where both sides can be seen ).
Just have autos/Peds./cyclists waiting it out (as is common with a model crossing)..I'm sure cross-buck lights can be activated via a (likely) series circuit where either track/train movement triggers it..(Again, gates already down all the time no diff than say, a fire truck always being washed outside its fire station, or someone sitting on a motorcycle outside a bar.. just plausible atmosphere, say.
But if you think you can model 2 working gates, one on each side of the two tracks, one for each lane, then by all means.........

That's a thought PowerCab, but this empire is 6 1/2 scale miles around. Trains don't pass the crossing at the frequency of a 4X8 plywood layout. Ops sessions have trains working industries for 20 -30 minutes before moving on to the next switching job.
A working gate and light system would be in harmony with the 4 aspect signal system on the empire.

I don't know if I would want to get involved with an organization named, "Wehonest".
Wehonest is a Chinese company that makes (copies) lots of model railroad equipment. They are a reputable company, but quality varies, mostly good. I can only speak for static items like street lights, figures and trees as that is all that I have used. If Azatrax has all that you need, by all means go with them, but Wehonest may be able to fill gaps for you. Many of their products are stocked in Amazon warehouses which offer a much shorter lead time than Ebay.

The time it takes for trains to pass by THAT particular thoroughfare matters not.. It's all fantasy and compensation for the great lack of distance we ALL live with, with some exception for some huge layouts such as clubs can have... So the gates are always down..So what...
Plus, we're not usually looking there until trains get in the area anyway.. So, we scoot over there, or we're plugging into the DCC 06 panel which happens to be near there, or a visitor is waiting to see the train go by..Haven't we done the 'rail fan waiting-it-out thing' whether a train did/does come or not ?! Here's another plausible story :
The gates are stuck and we're awaiting the Signal Dept. to get there and fix it (again !) !! See what I mean ? All plausible realism..
I'm just suggesting a simple, cheap solution. leave the gates down and fuggeddaboudit !..Power the cross-bucks on the side we do see (w/dummy on other side of tracks, opposite lane, facing away from us)..
But, again, if, IF you can 'swing it', then, by all means, of course install it to have it all animated..Cool......

Last edited:
Thanks for the lead James.
That got me to plugging around the internet again. I don't know if I would want to get involved with an organization named, "Wehonest". Instinct says no.
I found Azatrax and they seem to have the complete system components that I would need.
I left them a message to confirm what I have in my cart there is adequate to do what I want to do.
I've dealt with Wehonest, over the last couple of years, and I've yet to be disappointed in their stuff, it's Chinese, so quality is not the best (is anything these days?) but having said that, as long as your not intending to use brute force to install it, you'll be fine, if there's a problem return it for a refund, I've done that too, no a problem.

I have a Walthers grade crossing light flashing kit but it only serves one track.
I've looked over the internet for something that will serve two tracks and has a more realistic appearance but haven't found anything suitable.
I'm currently using the Railroad Company Train Controller Silver software for block detection and signal control, so the block system is already established.
I believe Azatrax (azatrax.com) has what you need.

I've been looking at the Azatrax system but I just don't get a warm feeling that it's what I would expect it to be. It seems that their solution for multiple tracks is, wellll maybe this would work.
Pretty much like a local guy here who says he can design something. Right, and when something goes wrong with it, I need to get ahold of him for parts or support? for a system that's being used in a way it wasn't originally designed? No thanks.
Logic Rail Technologies has a system that's designed to work with multiple tracks.
I placed an order with them and it's currently in transit.

The LRT grade crossing arrived and I'm reading through the pages of instruction how to set it up. Maybe a bit more than a kiddies toy.

Started the install process today. Modified the benchwork to have better access to the work area.
Got one servo motor mounted and changed out the control wire to the gate for a longer one.
Found a suitable wall wart to power the system and ran the power wire from the wall wart 20' over to where the grade crossing is.
I had some scenery work to finish up so I knocked off for the day.

Back