Looking for Athearn BB SW7 shell .

One on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-scale-P...183941?hash=item48e2f26dc5:g:z7UAAOSw2oVehrSx

I found my dummy, Illinois Central, complete in original box. Trade for most anything Union Pacific, reefer, old time box car. Pictures in a few minutes.

IMG_4078[1].JPG

IMG_4079[1].JPG

Last edited:
In case you do not know, the SW7 early Blue Box version had a tiny motor, cast zinc flywheels. The second generation Blue Box had a longer motor brass flywheels.
I know the longer motor does not fit in the early frame. I have not checked the drive train for differences.

In case you do not know, the SW7 early Blue Box version had a tiny motor, cast zinc flywheels. The second generation Blue Box had a longer motor brass flywheels.
I know the longer motor does not fit in the early frame. I have not checked the drive train for differences.

I had quite a few of the SW7 and S-12. Most I had had the small motor yellow color narrow one and brass flywheels . A few had the small motor which was the same length yet was wider which the actual magnet was one piece and was the main motor housing where the plastic ends fit and had cast larger diameter tapered flywheels guess this was for clearance near the truck only had these on the SW7 and S-12 which share the same frame. . Both motors I have are the later small /short , one has the short brass flywheels the other has the cast gray flywheels none tapered type same diameter and length as the brass ones. They had two of each type motors short and long the long motor will not fit the 41018 SW7 or S-12 frame will only fit all but the switchers and had longer both early cast or late brass flywheels I recall they had two longer brass flywheels and only one larger diameter cast gray color flywheel that was used in the early BB units because of the over wide hoods. The SW7 trucks are the same as the later SW 1500 and their other SW 10-- single stack yet the side frames are different both are plastic and interchange. BY then the older metal side frames were long gone. The drive train is shared by the F7 as far as the u-joints yet the F7 had the longer motor and brass flywheels to the same couplings fit. The worm covers were also different the SW did not have the two arms because of how the trucks mounted in the frame yet cut off the arms and they were then the same. Same worms and axles and gears.

Also there were the early metal side frames on all models with the bronze bearings one even the SW7 and S-12 and the later inner square bearings and plastic side frames. Seems only the trainmaster never got the plastic side frames all the others did. I have power trucks of the late and early for the SW7/S-12 one set of each yet I have parts to convert the dummy to the later power trucks. I have a spare set of the short brass flywheels from an old Athearn DD40 the one large unit mine had the two small motors and short brass flywheels this is why I have spare short motors.

Thank you for your input. I only know this because I've been working on these old and newer BB since 81. They made a lot of mid year changes and some of the SW7's I had were still in many shops just older stock and since they were sealed sometimes you ended up with an older version , I only ran across a few most had the later motor and brass flywheels I have two trainmaster's with the old motor and large cast zinc flywheels and three with the late motor and brass.

Back