Looking for a flat paint finish

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1TrickPony

I am painting sandstone cliffs on my layout. I've just used standard acrylic paint but the result is too shiny when the light hits it. I have tried Testor's Dullcoat and it looks the same as before I started.

The top part of each cliff was carved out of Foam Scultpture block, which has a sandy, flat finish. The tops don't match the bottoms of the cliffs, which are pink insulation foam with acrylic paint. Any ideas?

1TrickPony

That's a good idea. I found this that I think I'll try next:
Modern Masters DP609 Clear Decorative Painter’s Acrylic Dead Flat Varnish

I am hoping that the "Dead Flat" is accurate.

Ash Pit

I have been using Micro Mark's Micro Lux Acrylics and like them very much. Their selection is limited. I also use Acrilicos Vallejo and like them too.

TLOC

For scenery I use the Behr paints from HD. I think the sample bottles of paint are worth it.

TomO

dave1905

Flat latex house paint.
Rustoleum flat finish.
Craft acrylics come in gloss, satin and flat, make sure you buy flat.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.