Looking at a Woodland Scenics Layout Kit

JoeYeti

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of trying to get my railroad aspirations back on track. I started with an N scale layout design that I REALLY, REALLY liked, but when I started building models, it is just too small for me and my giant ape-like paws. It was also a VERY daunting task having never done any of the related base and scenery work before, or any railroad work for that matter. I had previously considered the HO Scale Woodland Scenics Grand Valley kit for its one stop shopping. It is literally a model railroad school in a box. Someone gave me the insight that it may be fun to build, but running it will get old fast. I know they were correct.

I Scarmed up the track plan and set out to modify it to make it more fun. The original is 4x8. I have just enough room where I can add to it. My version is 4'9" x 11'5", with a 24"x27" extension. I changed all of the curves to 24" and 22", and the turnouts from #4 to #5. My struggle is with the 90 degree intersection right in the middle of the layout (the lower one does not really matter as it is industry only). Those intersections always seem to be problem areas for people, not to mention the collision potential. Some have suggested running one track under the other, but how do you do that and make it look right?

I will be using the DCC system I already bought.

I am open to ideas, and appreciate your feedback on any of it! This hobby so far and been sort of a disaster but I hope to be going in the right direction now, and I can sell my N scale equipment and track over time I am sure (anyone need a ton of Kato Unitrack? :LOL:)

Attachments

• grandvalley22in.jpg
    grandvalley22in.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Regarding the crossings, set them in place first, and then build out from there. The upper one might require using some flex track and "fudging" a bit on the curves. I don't use track planning software, but I always sketch out and then measure as carefully as I can on the layout surface to ensure that the curves meet my radius requirements. Make sure that you can access this layout from all sides, as 4'9" is a pretty far reach!
Regarding collision potential on the upper one, I don't see any with this layout unless you are really running trains extremely close to one another. On the industry track, there is a potential, but just follow prototype practices there and don't operate there when a train is due on the main.
If you choose to go over/under on the upper one, there doesn't appear to be enough trackage to raise it enough to clear without a difficult grade.

Regarding the crossings, set them in place first, and then build out from there. The upper one might require using some flex track and "fudging" a bit on the curves. I don't use track planning software, but I always sketch out and then measure as carefully as I can on the layout surface to ensure that the curves meet my radius requirements. Make sure that you can access this layout from all sides, as 4'9" is a pretty far reach!
Regarding collision potential on the upper one, I don't see any with this layout unless you are really running trains extremely close to one another. On the industry track, there is a potential, but just follow prototype practices there and don't operate there when a train is due on the main.
If you choose to go over/under on the upper one, there doesn't appear to be enough trackage to raise it enough to clear without a difficult grade.
THANK YOU! I am actually using flex track that I already have. This layout will be on wheels so I will have about 3 feet of access all around it when not running. Thanks for the tip on the crossover. I will take my plan to kinkos and get them to print it full scale, that may make it easier to the cross first.. I APPRECAITRE it!

Rob

I can relate. Went to HO from n Scale because deteriorating eye sight and slightly shaky hands I needed something bigger. Selling off my n Scale stuff was a traumatic experience. My Physical deteriorating condition has gotten much worse🎻🎻🎻🎻 So now I am selling all my HO stuff. Kato Unitrack is great! N has many more options than HO. All of the many 100's of K U track I had only 1 bad piece in both scales (n turnout)
I have 2 or 3 grand in HO K U, more than half still in original packaging. I will be posting in the buy/sell forum. Another traumatic experience. However, life is good, I'm 77.65 years old and doing way better than I probably should be! Good luck with your project! J B🚂

Agreed with santafewillie. Build it as is, with the two 90 degree crossings staying put where shown. Trying to go over/under in lieu of the crossings will give you an impossibly steep grade in one place or another that you neither need nor want. I think it's a pretty decent plan the way it is.

Back