Lookin' for loggers-I need inspiration!

Crewman1

Hi guys,

I'm building a small logging layout on a hollow-core door in On30. I'm kind of lacking for what to do scenically, so I figured I'd check out other modeler's work and see what they've done. Pics would be much appreciated.:)

Cheers,
-Chris

Google ''Logging railroad pictures", you will find many prototype as well as model logging operation pictures to inspire you. Jerry

You may want to go a little bigger... If you have a 30" door, that's only 120' at O scale(if my math is right) May want to consider a smaller scale. Any type of structure at that scale would use up a lot of space. Jerry

Here's a two sites with lots of old pictures of Pacific Northwest Logging. http://content.lib.washington.edu/clarkkinseyweb/
http://content.lib.washington.edu/kinseyweb/index.html

If you're looking for some good books on old-time logging, try some titles like "The Glory Days of Logging" " The Glory Days of Logging" "Rails To Paradise, the story of the Tacoma Eastern Railroad" & "In Search of Steam Donkeys".

As for the landscape, check out this pic. http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/kinsey&CISOPTR=18&CISOBOX=1&REC=1

Hope this helps.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd sure be interested to see your track plan on a 30" door for On30 scale. Unless you're planning just a few point to point tracks and almost no scenery, it seems impossible to do a logging railroad in the space you have.

Well...

Let me give everyone the exact door dimensions first:
L: 80" W: 36"

That allows me to use fifteen inch radii, which the bachmann shay tracks well through. The layout is supposed to be portable (just to clarify, the benchwork, wiring, and track are done. I just need scenery) so the door was really the only practical choice. The plan also only uses three turnouts, forming a loop (which doubles as a runaround), a storage/RIP/display track, and an additional two sidings that form the cutting area. This is mostly a scenic "display" plan, but it can function operationally.

Now, if I new how to post pics, I would at this very moment, but I have a paper route to do tommorrow morning, so I will put them up later.

Thanks for the wonderful pics, the brain-train is on the roll again!!!:D

Cheers,
-Chris

Chris, you are really going to have to model a very very small sawmill to fit in on you door with tracks. I am a full time scratchbuilder and most sawmills in O scale would more then fill your entire door with just the principle buildings. You might take a look at the BTS/Mastercreations website, they make a mid sized mill and have the O scale dimensions for their pieces listed. I believe their complex entails 10 buildings. Also over the years Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette has had numerous plans and articles on saw mills of all sizes.

That's true, but I am not modeling the actual sawmill at all. I am modeling just the unloader and log pond. The actual sawmill itself is 'off-layout'. Besides, I'm modeling only a very small operation, meant to last a cutting season. I'm not trying to compress the westside; that would be impossible....:)
Cheers,
-Chris

Paper route done...:mad: a tiring morning....
I am not even putting the actual sawmill on the layout; just the unloader and log pond. I got that idea from a guy who modeled Sn3 at the Mad City show in Wisconsin last year. No sawmill, just the pond, ramp, and boom unloader. Looked really cool!

I think I have it right-pics of layout plan should be attached...

Cheers,
-Chris

Back