Long time train enthusiast, first time modeler

HotblackDesiato

Good afternoon folks

I used to love playing with my simple HO scale model train set in the 80's but never had a place for my parents to set up a layout.

Now I have some space and am hoping to get some help and tips about modeling. I've gotten some good basic guidance from my local hobby store so far but looking to get some more now that I've decided on a theme for my model. If anyone familiar with Canadian operations in the 50's and 70's wants to reach out I would appreciate it.

Hi ! A few tips:
Try to avoid a layout on a flat board..Hassle upon miserable hassle..You will be more content later on if you choose either open-grid, shelf style, or, around the walls/room, types of bench work.
If you've no trains or controller as yet do consider going DCC with either an NCE, Digitrax, MRC, Bachmann throttle, and at least one well made DCC loco..Bachmann makes great engines today..Their steamers are especially well detailed and run smooth..If ad does not say "DCC/Sound on board" the engine will have no sound. DCC is actually easier to do any wiring with and running of trains than early 1950s analog DC control..
Atlas code 100 track, if it matters to you, is out of scale and its switches (TOs) have potentially stallout-causing, plastic frogs..I'd go code 83 with either Atlas CustomLine or Peco Insulfrog switches and track (Peco is a tad Brit looking compared to Atlas US proto) where frogs are powerable...
Also, do you want a 'continual' or a 'point to point' layout ? 98% of real trains are point to point with turning facilities at one or both ends. One style allows you to watch trains run uninterruptedly. The other forces you to do more proto RR ops at each end. What's your cup of tea ?
There are loads of how-tos in here, books/mags, and on You'tube..
Go slowly and methodically... Good benchwork and careful track laying will pay off later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back