lokSound Decoder 58420 sound arrival # S0720

Lildog Rail Way

Hello All
Just reinstalled for the second time this decoder loksound 58420 was not aware it had to be loaded with the sound sent it back had article # s0720 installed finally got volume where I want it . Problems 2 , speed steps I'll figure it out but when I use the horn the bell chimes cannot figure out how to stop that any one familiar with this decoder , don't believe I'll ever purchase another one beating the little dog down !!

Download JMRI, (it's free) you can adjust the CV values for individual sounds.

Most sellers will pre-load your soundfile of choice at no cost, but you do have to kinda tell them, at least you know for next time.

JMRI won't give you the whole picture of the ESU decoder. If you can get to the mapping page, you would look in the F2 mapping. To the far right is the sound column. When you click on that you'll get the drop-down window. Scroll down in the window and you'll see the horn function with the little box checked then you'll see the bell sound box checked as well. Uncheck the bell sound then load the sound package again.
There may be a triggering action as well in one of the other columns to the left, but I'll have to open my ESU page to refresh my memory on that one. Basically, you would look in the drop downs on the same row of F2 mapping and get rid of the checks in the bell functions.

The only other way would be to find the actual CV then change the number of it. Usually, it's one of those where ya change a 2xx to a 2xy.

JMRI won't give you the whole picture of the ESU decoder. If you can get to the mapping page, you would look in the F2 mapping. To the far right is the sound column. When you click on that you'll get the drop-down window. Scroll down in the window and you'll see the horn function with the little box checked then you'll see the bell sound box checked as well. Uncheck the bell sound then load the sound package again.
There may be a triggering action as well in one of the other columns to the left, but I'll have to open my ESU page to refresh my memory on that one. Basically, you would look in the drop downs on the same row of F2 mapping and get rid of the checks in the bell functions.
Thank you Sir
I'm looking in to a cheap laptop to use I'll get there just a slow process

I could check on my LokProggrammer to see what the actual CV would be but then I would need the actual decoder for the programmer to read.

I could check on my LokProggrammer to see what the actual CV would be but then I would need the actual decoder for the programmer to read.
This is for my education as well, but wouldn't the CVs be the same if you had the same or similar locomotive with a Loksound5

You can use the Lokprogrammer software on a computer and don't need the Lokprogrammer to change the CVs. Only to find out what they are. Then you can change them manually on the Powercab.

Load the s0720 file into the software and have a look around. Once you have made the changes you need, you can look at a summary of CVs that were changed and their values. Use the Powercab to make those CV changes to those values.

It's a lot easier with a Lokprogrammer, and JMRI doesn't always play nice with ESU decoders.

You can use the Lokprogrammer software on a computer and don't need the Lokprogrammer to change the CVs. Only to find out what they are. Then you can change them manually on the Powercab.

Load the s0720 file into the software and have a look around. Once you have made the changes you need, you can look at a summary of CVs that were changed and their values. Use the Powercab to make those CV changes to those values.

It's a lot easier with a Lokprogrammer, and JMRI doesn't always play nice with ESU decoders.
I never considered tryin to open the decoder file without the LokProggrammer. I'll have to give that a try.

Several sound projects have auto-bell enabled, and it is nearly impossible to disable it. I discovered this when I loaded sound onto a Loksound decoder for use in a P42, I couldn't turn off the autobell.

Several sound projects have auto-bell enabled, and it is nearly impossible to disable it. I discovered this when I loaded sound onto a Loksound decoder for use in a P42, I couldn't turn off the autobell.
I've always found that in the F2 sound mapping. Uncheck the auto bell box but keep the horn box checked.

The speed steps are programmed when you set up the initial programming. Never came across a bell problem or any other issue. Of course I got mine from Tony’s. They might have already done hat work ahead where others might not.

It is written in the documentation on this particular file. This one is loaded with operation features not normaly found elsewhere The bell feature is far mandat on all new locomotives and has been copied to the 70mac file. The documentation tells you how to turn it off and alter it. That is not a simple file it is feature heavy with f function commands based on what other f function camands are set to on ir off. Not really a beginners file for sure.

from the documentation on bells for the s0720:

Auto Bell:

Many Second and Third Generation locomotives have been fitted with an Automatic Bell that is triggered when the horn is blown. In MANY cases this cannot even be bypassed on modern locos. Before the FRA mandated this feature on new locomotives the bell was of course turned on and off separately. Some locomotives were delivered with a manual bell and have been converted to an automatic bell. This creates a challenge in sound file creation.

We realize that not every loco with a particular prime mover had this feature. As such we have built in an option to turn the feature on and off. We will set the default in the file to be what is most appropriate for the particular file.

To turn the feature OFF - Auto Bell OFF:

1. Remove the Auto bell sound slot from the function mapping chart
CV31 = 16, CV32 = 8
----------------------
CV311 = 4

2. Change the sound configuration of the Auto bell sound slot
CV31 = 16, CV32 = 1
----------------------
CV287 = 0

To turn the feature ON - Auto Bell ON:
1. ADD the Auto bell sound slot from the function mapping chart
CV31 = 16, CV32 = 8
----------------------
CV311 = 12

2. Change the sound configuration of the Auto bell sound slot
CV31 = 16, CV32 = 1
----------------------
CV287 = 1

Auto Bell Timer:
The Bell timer is amount of time the bell will play after the horn if the auto timer is active. The timer is broken down into 1/4 of a second increments.
CV169=4 - 1 Second
CV169=8 - 2 Seconds
CV169=12 - 3 Seconds
CV169=16 - 4 Seconds
CV169=20 - 5 Seconds - Default
Etc...

Back