Logan Valley

It's a pity they don't make it possible, to install, or install them when assembling, figures inside the cars and trucks that have fixed roofs. Would make the scenes better still.

Toot, some of the Classic Metal Works vehicles can be disassembled and a figure or figures installed. I just don't have the proper figures on hand to do that. Some other ones can also be taken apart with a bit of care.

There is so much talent on this forum! I am sure glad that I do not have to rate whom I think is best.
Just flat-out unbelievable scenes, Chet!

Wow Chet 19 pages of posts and replys, that is excellent. Like I've said before, thanks for the tour and keep on keeping on! You layout Rocks!

Thanks for the comments Mark. Now that the majority of the scenery is in, I find myself going down to the train room to work on the layout and just end up running trains. There is still more work to be done in this last town plus older parts of the layout to be upgraded but I guess running trains is why the layout was built.

Although if you where to look at my layout in a sequence of photos over the years, you would probably think I never work on my layout, as nothing really seems to change over time. Last year, I had to send my Digitrax Zephyr in for repair and it was gone for 6 weeks, or, so. During this time, I did a lot of ballasting of the track, painting of the rock work, adding trees and ground cover. Even when the Zephyr is working, I really don't operate all that much. But that down time from operation, was an excuse to go whole hog with attempting to get things done on the layout, I didn't even attempt to work on the installation of sound decoders in a couple of locomotives; or, build any rolling stock. However, the truth is I spend much of my time working on the railroad, at the bench, building something. Actual work on the layout seems to come in spurts! A particular job that has been sitting idle for years, will finally get my attention, look like fun to do and bang, progress will be made.

Other people seem to be much more devoted to getting things done, whether the job at hand appeals to them; or, not! That sounds like work to me and I did that enough when I was working for a living, as you had too! Now, the most important aspect of this project is that it be fun! In the end, if it never gets done, I'm fine with that, as long as I am still having fun!

Mark - I'm with you on that "pressure to get things done". I work on different aspects as I get the urge. I might build benchwork one day, paint an existing structure the next, ballast something the third, weather a few cars next and run trains in between.

Willie

My layout is finally to the point where I can really enjoy operating. I have gone down to the train room to work on a project and then find myself running trains. Unfortunately this happens way too often and nothing on the layout gets done. I have had this project sitting on my work bench for months. It is O'Learys Ice House which I am in kit bashing into a freight station. A door has been cut into the side of the building and the freight platform has been extended, but I just haven't moved forward with the project.

IMAG0919.jpg

I'm sure that it will be completed some time in the future, but I am just having too much fun running trains. I have slowly been adding trees and ground cover in places and have been freshening up some older part of the layout. It's taken a long time to get this far and things are being added at my own pace.

I guess I should do more work on the layout, but I'm just having too much fun running the trains. For me, that's what it is all about I guess.

Chet, I'm just the opposite from you, I enjoy building things for the layout far more than I enjoy running trains. I see people here and on other forums talk about how much they enjoy running trains, some run trains around a small oval and even take videos of a train making laps around this simple oval layout! Makes me remember back when I was 10-12 years old and running my Tyco trainset around the oval of track that came with it. I would cut portals in a cardboard box, flip it over straddling the track and run my train through "Box Mountain". I built a "Plasticville" station, town type water tower and other buildings. The "Snap Track" oval's rail joiners had been pulled apart and re-joined so many times that electrical continuity had been compromised. I'd get my pliers out and squeeze them to make the joint tighter and continue on. It was so simple and so much fun! In 1988 when I got back to the hobby, I did so for my sons who where 8 and 10 years old at the time. They where somewhat interested; but, when I started mounting track to board and started my layout, their Nintendo addled minds simply lost interest! However, I became enamored and after 28 years, here I am, no longer so enthused about running trains as I am about building a model railroad. I guess running trains is sort of the cream at the top; but, needs to have a purpose! So, I'm trying to learn Operations and understand it would have been better to have designed the layout with a bit more attention to Operations than scenery. However, I am making due and am still having fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
My layout is finally to the point where I can really enjoy operating. I have gone down to the train room to work on a project and then find myself running trains. Unfortunately this happens way too often and nothing on the layout gets done. I have had this project sitting on my work bench for months. It is O'Learys Ice House which I am in kit bashing into a freight station. A door has been cut into the side of the building and the freight platform has been extended, but I just haven't moved forward with the project.

View attachment 59114

I'm sure that it will be completed some time in the future, but I am just having too much fun running trains. I have slowly been adding trees and ground cover in places and have been freshening up some older part of the layout. It's taken a long time to get this far and things are being added at my own pace.

I guess I should do more work on the layout, but I'm just having too much fun running the trains. For me, that's what it is all about I guess.

Same boat! I "talk" about scenery but I never do anything about it! I'm just completing my second track pattern and don't want to get scenery in the way before the lines are "set", on the fourth pattern!

I also really enjoy building things for the layout. I have scratch built or kit bashed many of the buildings on the layout and have custom painted a number of locomotives and freight cars as well as worked on scenery. I am to the point where I am running out of space on the layout to add any buildings but am to the point where the original plan for the layout is finally coming together.

I tried to bring life to the layout, no only focusing on trains, but on how the railroad works with the towns and industries around the layout. I have industries on the layout that supply other industries also on the layout giving the railroad a purpose. A log loading deck supplies logs to a saw mill on the layout which in turn supplies lumber to a lumber yard, a cabinet shop and furniture factory on the layout. Grain elevators supply grain to a flour mill on the layout as well as stock yards that bring cattle to a meat processing plant.

Freight stations were quite important in the 50's in Montana. There were no interstate highways back then and interstate trucking was in it's infancy. There was no UPS or FedEx and quite a lot of the goods coming into communities came by rail to the freight station. Food, machinery, clothing, appliances and on and on come by rail. I know that we either received items from Railway Express trucks or went into town to the freight station to pick things up.

I am not inly focusing on trains, but on what keeps the railroad in business.

I will probably always have projects to do on the layout as a lot of it has been around for 30 or more years, but i do enjoy seeing trains run through the towns and switch cars at the industries along the main line.

Since I started the layout I have learned quite a lot and there are older parts of the layout that I would like to freshen up and improve. I have all sorts of figures and other details that need to be added to the layout also as soon as I get off my butt and get them painted. Details are what helps make the scene and there are a lot that still have to be added.

The more details that are added also make running the trains more interesting. They bring the layout to life. I'm having the best of both right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also really enjoy building things for the layout. I have scratch built or kit bashed many of the buildings on the layout and have custom painted a number of locomotives and freight cars as well as worked on scenery. I am to the point where I am running out of space on the layout to add any buildings but am to the point where the original plan for the layout is finally coming together.

I tried to bring life to the layout, no only focusing on trains, but on how the railroad works with the towns and industries around the layout. I have industries on the layout that supply other industries also on the layout giving the railroad a purpose. A log loading deck supplies logs to a saw mill on the layout which in turn supplies lumber to a lumber yard, a cabinet shop and furniture factory on the layout. Grain elevators supply grain to a flour mill on the layout as well as stock yards that bring cattle to a meat processing plant.

Freight stations were quite important in the 50's in Montana. There were no interstate highways back then and interstate trucking was in it's infancy. There was no UPS or FedEx and quite a lot of the goods coming into communities came by rail to the freight station. Food, machinery, clothing, appliances and on and on come by rail. I know that we either received items from Railway Express trucks or went into town to the freight station to pick things up.

I am not inly focusing on trains, but on what keeps the railroad in business.

I will probably always have projects to do on the layout as a lot of it has been around for 30 or more years, but i do enjoy seeing trains run through the towns and switch cars at the industries along the main line.

Since I started the layout I have learned quite a lot and there are older parts of the layout that I would like to freshen up and improve. I have all sorts of figures and other details that need to be added to the layout also as soon as I get off my butt and get them painted. Details are what helps make the scene and there are a lot that still have to be added.

The more details that are added also make running the trains more interesting. They bring the layout to life. I'm having the best of both right now.

AND ... You have accomplished a masterful work - one of the best I have seen. There is (or should be) always room for additions and improvements to any layout .. for instance: needs to be "some" trash or litter on the streets! LOL

Personally, I do a bit of everything every time. A bit of tracks, a bit of wiring, a bit of buildings, plaster, etc, that way I can't become crazy and get fed up. I can't wait for the next day and continue. Yesterday I worked on a shale looking mountain, plaster, wiring and building and to day is a day off.
I still have 1/3 of the layout not build yet, but I do intend to have all the framework done by Christmas

I agree with Sherrel, you have a very impressive layout Chet

Lloyd, I did exactly what you mentioned. Worked on a little bit of everything as the layout moved along. Laid some track and then I would paint and letter locomotives. As the track went down, wiring was done. When I didn't feel like going to the basement I would put structure kits together or kit bash or scratch build structures. One thing that caused me to do it this way is that I doidn't have any hobby shops around and I did what I could while waiting for more supplies to come in. I will admit that doing things this way you didn't get bored.

I haven't added much to this post lately mainly because not much went on for a while. A number of small projects, mainly details were added.

In the town of Logan, speed limit signs and a few trees were added to Main Street.

attachment.php

At the other end of town, a grade crossing has finally been added into the round house and yard area. The building to the right with the gas pump is Blaack Stack Truck & Auto Repair.

attachment.php

Been making trees and some have finally been added to the hills behind the roundhouse.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some work has also been done to the salvage yard. Thought I had enough fence to go all the way arounf the yard, but wouldn't you know, three panels short. I will have to get the fence ordered and while I'm at it, I'll try to find some fuel tanks to put in besides the old baggage cars office for the cat and crane working in the yard.

attachment.php

I have some grade crossing signs on the way as well as some stop signs for the layout. Most little nit picking things.

Nice, CHET, Very nice. WOW .. Lots of traffic in town! Someone having a sale? BOO COO cars everywhere!

I would say pay day on the reservation, but that town is not on the rez, Could be a rodeo going on plus the cafe has some really good food..

You have done such a wonderful build that I am very hesitant to "nitpick", but your scrap yeard is too clean!

Back