Loconet cables?

AllenB

I've got a digitrax zephyr and all I want to do is install 2 interconnect panels so I can add a throttle. I read that you can use regular phone cord if all you're doing is adding a throttle....correct?

To make cables you need 6 wire phone cord and rj12 ends. I bought the phone cord @ radio shack plus the tool for putting ends on! Make sure the tool is for 6 wire most u see are only 4 wire tools! I got a box of 25 ends from a ebay store for $6 delivered to my door!

You can obtain your crimpers, often called a networking tool, and the RJ-12 plugs at the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. The HoDo also sells 6 conductor RJ-11 plugs as well. What the difference is between them and the RJ-12's are, I can't figure out. I've used both with excellent results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that you can use regular phone cord if all you're doing is adding a throttle....correct?
Correct. I bought a 25 foot multi-phone cord from Radio Shack for about 12 dollars.
As long as you aren't doing anything more elaborate than adding a connection for a throttle, the phone cords work fine.

I think I've been doing it the expensive way. I use all digitrax stuff, and let me tell you it gets expensive in cables. I have 3 DS64's, 2 PM42's the PR3, a Two DB150's, and a series of 3 panels around my layout. I go to my local hardware store, or menards and purchase the 6 wire phone cables. I never thought of going and getting the crimper tool and making them myself........

I never thought of going and getting the crimper tool and making them myself........
And not only cheaper but one can make them to the exact length needed. One then doesn't have loops of extra wire length nor a wire pulled slightly too tight.

Back