Locomotive Speed very "jerky"

wstevenson94

I received as a Christmas present a Broadway Limited Paragon Rolling Thunder EMD E9 Sou #198 (5810). The engine does not seem to run properly on the layout. The speed is very unsteady and at times the RPMs sounds are extremely high for the very slow speeds on a flat surface. The engine is very jerky and unsteady with speeds.

No other engine on the layout has this problem, which makes me think it is a problem with the Paragon Unit.

Any help/advice will be appreciated,

If it's a new loco, it could well have been on the shelf for quite some time beforehand.
Disassemble the trucks and worm gear, thoroughly clean all the old grease out, as it often solidifies if not being used, then lubricate according to the information sheet.

I received as a Christmas present a Broadway Limited Paragon Rolling Thunder EMD E9 Sou #198 (5810). The engine does not seem to run properly on the layout. The speed is very unsteady and at times the RPMs sounds are extremely high for the very slow speeds on a flat surface. The engine is very jerky and unsteady with speeds.

No other engine on the layout has this problem, which makes me think it is a problem with the Paragon Unit.

Any help/advice will be appreciated,
What DCC system are you using? Do you have CV10 set to 1 or 0?
I know BLI sets CV6 extremely low in order to get good low speed operation, try setting it to 120 or so.

What DCC system are you using? Do you have CV10 set to 1 or 0?
I know BLI sets CV6 extremely low in order to get good low speed operation, try setting it to 120 or so.
Thank you so much for the advice. My apologies for taking so long to respond. I did set the CV6 to 120. CV10 is 1. That did help, but not completely solve the problem. My DCC system is the NEC Power Cab.

If it's a new loco, it could well have been on the shelf for quite some time beforehand.
Disassemble the trucks and worm gear, thoroughly clean all the old grease out, as it often solidifies if not being used, then lubricate according to the information sheet.
Thank you for the reply. As a novice, I have no idea how to perform this steps. :)

Thank you for the reply. As a novice, I have no idea how to perform this steps. :)
I assume your track and wheels are shiny and clean?
If you look on the service sheet that came with the loco it will show you where everything is, if you don't have it, go to
hoseeker.net
and download it.
It will show you where any screws are that you may need to remove, or it could be simply a gentle squeeze either side of the body to remove the shell.
Check that there is little or no grease or oil on any moving part, especially on the gear housing, and axels, remove any excess with something like IPA and a cotton bud.
Check that the gear covers are sitting correctly over the gears.
You say the motor sounds like it's running faster than the speed its travelling at, so holding the truck wheels try turning the flywheel, if it slips you need to determine where.
PM me and let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
Check your output voltage of your NCE system. You should be at 16 volts for HO scale. I am Assuming you are running a NCE power pro? If you are running Power CAB I don't think you can adjust the voltage. If you are running Power PRO then the voltage check is on page 15 of your manual. I just reset mine this afternoon. Low voltage will affect some of these newer decoders.

Back