Locomotive Shop

D3810B2D-7065-40A3-8D1A-7D47FB942179.jpeg

Anyone out there have photos of a real back shop? The problem I am running into is the model has two cranes which run the length of the building. The machinery out there in HO is belt driven. I cannot build a overhead belt system because it will interfere with the cranes. Any suggestions?

Depends what exactly your after, if all you want is the crane to move up and down the length of the shed, not too difficult, a pulley system comes to mind where the crane is connected to a fixed point on a cable (could use fishing line?), and a motor would push/pull the crane, but you will probably have to modify the rear of the building to accommodate the motor inside an extension type building. But if you want the boom to move across as well, I admit I have no ideas.
Here's a thought, depending on the actual construction and size of the crane, would a z motor fit inside the crane, negating the need for an external motor?

Last edited:
Wow just catching up, looking good! (ok great!)
Years ago, when I was young and inventive, I had a somewhat similar crane that moved by a threaded rod I mounted along the wall.
It was driven by a series of gears and powered by a small motor from a slot car that my brother never did find again. (snicker!)
It tended to bind when it travelled but I think it could be done much better these days.

Back