Locomotive history info?

plasticman

Hi

Are there any good websites that give you a brief history of locomotives? (Generaly explain what year a locomotive came to be. And what role in played).

I have a GP 40, Emd GP 50, 0-6-0 Plymouth Switcher, F7.

I just would like to know alittle history about them. Please help. Thanks!:D

Wikipedia has some info, about the most basic all-in-one place to find info. What are you looking to know?

The GP40 was the predecessor to the GP40-2 which was replaced by the GP50.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Josh says, Wikipedia has a good basic out line of the history of almost all locomotive, particularly EMD. The Plymouth swither and 0-6-0 are more difficult since Plymouth built many models of switchers and there were hundreds of different variations of the 0-6-0. If you have a Tyco or AHM Plymouth, it's loosely based on the 35 ton model, which was has been built, with many variations, from the early 40's through today. Without seeing a picture of the 0-6-0, it's impossible to even guess as to what company made it and when. Generally, 0-6-0 engines were also loosely based on a USRA design from 1919 but very few model companies have produced accurate 0-6-0's that represent any particular model or railroad.

Wasn't the GP40 based off the GP38-2, just boosed up in horsepower?

The 0-6-0 was almost every major railroads yard switcher. They were used in anything from small to medium yards, used until replaced with the SW1500.

F7 I dont know as much about, just that it is based off the F3, given more horsepower, and a few other things below the hood. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

No. Dash 2's came after the non-dash 2's, but you're on topic. The GP38 & 40 are similar, just different HP ratings, and some external differences.

And w/o skipping too much time, but the SW1500, and MP15's were the end of the line for the end cab switchers, they didn't quite replace steam, far from it. Steam was long gone by the time they came. The SC & SW were first. then came the SW1 (and the SC series was ended, hard to cast frames that huge).

Last edited by a moderator:

Back