loco running long hood forward?

southbound

so i know i am asking a dumb question...being the amateur that i am. my HO layout is coming together in a finemanner howevr, i would like to have some of my locos run "backwards" that is long hood forward, so should i simply take off the body shell and snap it back on the opposite way- please lend some assistance here , thanks -dave from clev oh

so i know i am asking a dumb question...being the amateur that i am. my HO layout is coming together in a finemanner howevr, i would like to have some of my locos run "backwards" that is long hood forward, so should i simply take off the body shell and snap it back on the opposite way- please lend some assistance here , thanks -dave from clev oh
Nope, on DC, you just switch the direction of the power. Its a simple electrical concept, +/- then switch to -/+, it goes the other way. A DC controller should have a direction switch. DCC, you just tell it to run backwards.

NS (Norfolk Southern) ran long hood forward as standard ops. So the "backwards" is a misnomer.
But follow Josh's advice and just reverse polarity.
If it's something that you want to do as a standard way for the long hood units, you could just open up the unit and swap/solder red/black wires from the pick-ups to the motor.

Scoot

There's no need to modify the locomotive or the wiring. Locomotives should all be wired the same way so they will operate together. The controller doesn't know which way the locomotive is facing, and neither does the locomotive, for that matter. Just keep it box-stock and you'll have no problems.

Back