Loco Roster

Well most of these rosters my tiny list to shame! I've got a proto milw gp30, proto milw gp9 and 2 Walters gp9m units. Granted these will be fazed out since they're all probably 10 years old now. I'm planning on going dcc with my new layout and getting an Athearn milw rd geep and possibly 2 f7a units (I've got a small layout and have no need for lots of power).
There are also a few Santa Fe units but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. Those are currently on loan to my dad for his layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should hang on to the old ones. The proto units are not too bad at all. Those units cvan serve as back ups to replace any failures on the new models while you wait for parts to arrive.

No need o be shy of a small roster. At least it is of a size you can maintain. I have no idea how those people with 100's of engines manage to keep them all running.:confused:

I don't have hundreds of locos, but I do have over 50. The answer is...you just take a few out of storage or off the shelf and run them once in awhile. Then, if you find one or more of them become balky, you take the time to fix them! Sometimes all it takes is a little lube. You may have to make decisions. For example, I have a kitbashed model of a Burlington Route S-4 Hudson, "Aeolus" or "Big Alice the Goon", #4001 (sans the streamlining shroud...the prototype's was removed just before WWII, and I model the post-War period). I just took it down from the display shelf, and it runs great. Only problem is the headlight bulb is out. Now, time permitting, do I take it apart, risking messing up the drive mechanism or the fit, or superdetails, or do I leave it alone until something else appears to go wrong?

Happy New Year, everybody!

Trailrider,

If you do like I do, you may not have had that problem. Once a year, I take about a week out of my "training" time, and spend the time doing maintenance on every loco I have. This entails a complete breakdown of everything, down to the frames, and I check for things like bad solder joints, blown bulbs, if lighted, dried up lubrication, etc. Each one then gets new lubrication, paint job touch up, then its reassembled and placed either on the layout , or if in a construction phase like now, back into it's box.

Running? They are supposed to be running?

I only can imagine you've got a long rip track haha! I actually went to my dads house a few days back, and couldn't find most of my old locos. The only one I found was a Milwaukee road Athearn gp38 plus a few Santa Fe u boats I have. Something tells me my engines were sold on the garage sale, since my dad said he sold a bunch of old engines. Oh and the icing on the cake, I couldn't find my pacer/APL stack train either. It's a massive train so it's hard to miss a huge box full of cars and containers.

I only can imagine you've got a long rip track haha!
That plus whatever the "new from factory" track is called is very long. I am quite certain at least 33% of my locos have never been out of the box yet, let alone turned a wheel. I guess just having a layout would help. I've been making an extra effort to get my equipment down to the museum on volunteer's day so at least there is some running involved. I posted a couple months ago that my Genesis Challenger that I had so much trouble with and had sat in the box for nearly a decade seemed to have reset itself and actually ran all day on the museum layout.

Yeah having a layout of your own would help! Or at least a small section of track to just run power back n forth so it actually gets used. Operating on a museum layout has to be pretty neat

Hello there,

My loco roster has a new addition!

This is something to celebrate (to me at least), as this is my very first 6 axle locomotive!

Here she is: Athearn RTR Norfolk Southern SD40-2 #3339

4MRF.jpg

That brings the total up to 5 Norfolk Southern units:

Athearn RTR GP38-2s #5287 & #5325

Atlas Trainman 3GS21Bs #300 & #301

Athearn RTR SD40-2 #3339

Wish list stands as now:

Athearn RTR Norfolk Southern SD40E (SD50)

Athearn RTR Norfolk Southern GP (4 axle) unit.

Regards,

DE.

Added some locos, changed some on order, sold some:

My updated Loco Roster (all HO):

1. NS SD70 #2537 Athearn Genesis w Tsunami Sound
2. NS C40-9W #9897 Kato w Tsunami Sound custom built
3. NS ES40DC #7527 Intermountain w Tsunami Sound
4. NS/CR ES44AC #8098 Intermountain w LokSound
5. NS SD80MAC #7213 Kato no sound
6. NS SD40-2 #3340 Athearn RTR w Tsunami Sound operating ditch lights added
7. NS Genset #301 Atlas Trainman Plus w Tsunami Sound
8. NS GP38-2 #5350 Atlas Trainman no sound operating ditch lights added
9. NS SD70M-2 #2654 MTH w tsunami sound
10. CSX SD70MAC #4732 Kato w Tsunami Sound
11. CSX ES44DC #5398 Intermountain w Tsunami Sound
12. CSX C40-8 #7555 Atlas no sound
13. CSX AC6000CW #690 BLI w factory sound
14. UP SD70ACe #1982 Athearn Genesis w Tsunami Sound
15. UP SD70ACe #8669 Athearn Genesis w Tsunami Sound
16. UP ES44ACCTE #5516 Intermountain w Tsunami Sound
17. BNSF ES44AC #5778 Intermountain w Tsunami Sound
18. BNSF SD70ACe #9131 Athearn Genesis w Tsunami Sound
19. Amtrak P42DC #10 Athearn RTR w QSI sound ditch lights and reverse lights added
20. Amtrak P42DC #69 Athearn RTR no sound

*All locomotives are LED lit except for the 2nd Amtrak P42 that retains its stock Athearn bulbs.

Currently Building:
1. NS Athearn C40-9 #8879 w tsunami sound, LEDs, Horsehead scheme. Should complete late March 2014.

On order:
1. NS SD70ACe #1054 Athearn Genesis w tsunami sound expected July 2014
2. CSX ES44AC #3029Intermountain Delivery expected July 2014
3. CSX SD40-2 #8335 Intermountain Delivery expected April 2014
4. NS SD70M #2618 Athearn Genesis Flared Radiators August 2014 will add LokS
5. UP SD70M #4737 Atgearn Genesis Flared Radiators August 2014 will add LokS

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's pretty impressive. I went through that "get em all" stage too. Now I'm working in two era's. 1930-1935 steam and 1935-end of war diesels (dismal)

1930-1936

0-6-0 Bachmann (can motor conversion 1970's)Need hospitalization.
0-4-0 Rivarossi (slope tender).
2-6-0 IHC (X2).
2-4-0 IHC (passenger service).
2-8-0 Bachmann heavy freight.

1935-End of war

GE 44 ton Bachmann (2).
GE 70 ton Bachmann.
Alco RS-2 (x2) AHM Kitbash 1980's.
Alco RS-3 Atlas.

"Hopefuls"

0-4-4-0 Heisler
Alco S2
Alco HH-600
Doodlebug (both era's)

If I get this roster filled out with "hopefulls" It'll be more than enough for my layout/ego.

Looks like this thread came to the top of the heap again. I shared this in WPF, but almost my newest equipment.... A fleet of SDP45s for the Empire Builder. A bit newer is another E8 for the Zephyr, and two GG1s for the Broadway Limited (one matches the maroon passenger cars, the other is a more traditional green with multiple stripes).
attachment.php

My roster is very similar to Brad's. I also must have sound in all my locos, so 99% of them has DCC & Sound.

Here's a yard shot of all the freight locos.

P1010041.JPG

And here's a few of my Steam excursion locos.

P1000048.JPG

Hey Iron Horsemen!

I would love to see the pictures of your GG1s, Tuscan Red and the Brunswick Green. Fantastic locomotives, one of my all time favorites!

Hey Michael,

Great looking fleet and a great looking layout!

Back