Loco Info

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

SDP45

I like TYCO!
Looks like an old Atlas GP38. Were cream of the crop when they were first introduced, but that was how many years ago? Early 80s?

I always wanted the SD24, but they cost too much compared to my budget of Athearns.

Chris UK

Thanks very much for the info but when did the prototypes run from and to, and what duties were they common on. Was the early 80's the model introduction or the real thing?

It is in fact marked Atlas on the underside of one of the bogies and runs like a dream. I was given it by a client and it is this that has kindlled a passion in my son and I to model a USA exhibition railroad based on the UP. These locos cost about £15 over here secondhand, I guess thats about $25 to $30 and £60 new ( about $90ish?). Very good value based on the UK outline products which retail anywhere from £80 to £300 ( $150 - $550)

Chris

SDP45

I like TYCO!
GP38s were introduced in 1966 and can still be found in service on most any railroad. Lots have been rebuilt. There is also the GP38-2, introduced in 1972 as an improvement over the GP38.
I'm not much of a UP expert, but the original UP versions are still running.
Good source of pictures of UP 2000 series locomotives can be found here:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up-2000.html
Most of the GP38s were used in local service and very infrequently on the main line.
When they were bought, the UP was not the giant road it is now. It consisted of the line to Ogden from Omaha, with lines to the Washington/Oregon area and another to California.

Chris UK

Beyond my wildest hopes, thanks ever so. I am planning to use it on non main line operation based on present day so that fits nicely. Just as an aside, if I were to operate my new switching layout with UP as a RR which other RR should I use?

The concept at exhibitions is UP in the am and then another RR in the pm. My son is rather taken with Santa Fe but we are open to suggestions.

Thanks Dan...Chris

SDP45

I like TYCO!
Most anything could fit and not seem out of place. There are many places in California where UP and Santa Fe worked side-by-side on the same tracks.
Looks like your son gets Santa Fe.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.