Literally Blown Away !

PowrCab

I went to one of the best train watching spots in Los Angeles a few days back..Due to 2 tracks crossing a major street (Main St) it seems as if UP times trains in and out of the intermodal yard near by to be at night (not 100% sure of that)..
Well, there I was.. A train was nesting on the siding in the dark, headlight blaring toward me as I got out of my car...Wow ! Here we go !! Next thing another train came along and continued through, crossing Main st. toward yard..At that point I was standing 5 feet from it as it literally blew me away, the wind and noise from some 5-6 engines and then what seemed like 80 cars of refers and containers..No more than 3 Min later the nesting train began to roll..Again I'm like 5 feet away..This time it was more multi locos followed by a dozen dirty, funky hoppers towering over me, followed by a dozen flats carrying neatly stacked concrete ties..more wind in my face (hoppers must have been carrying ballast). It felt that night I'd won the trifecta of rail fanning because I was literally blown away !!

Yes. You are right !! Man O man, I was so close up !! :D
Those HUGE truck frames under the, I call 'em all 'Mac70s', out of laziness to know the real diffs between GMs and GEs, due to at the same time very knowledgeable about steam names (Connie) and whyte wheel arrangements (2-6-6-2t).
I know ! Safety First !! I just couldn't help it ! I just foolishly needed to be bathed in it !!
Ironically, I'm heading there again in a minute..It's 5:15 PM, L.A. I won't stand so close and I will keep my readers on.
Thanks for reply.

PS. I may or may not go there now..But you get the idea..

There is nothing like train wind in you face! Although I agree with Ken, get back a touch further from the rails. I have seen a Westbound in Libby dragging about 35ft of chain mid-train. It was skipping all over the place with sparks flying. Train speed through there is usually 55Mph. If you are in a yard or sumptin and things are moving slow, close is probably ok - train crews will probably say something to ya though. Trouble with our rail fanning and pix taking - we take pictures of big things up close and moving, so be careful!

I did in fact return as I'd said..Man it's thee greatest train spotting place !..Anyone in / near L.A., I stated above 'Main st., should have said North Main st..as far west as pos to bridge and grade crossings..
Here's what I deduced yesterday: We're at the Los Angeles river..There's a beautiful concrete bridge with old fashioned lamps and sidewalks..
One side are N/S tracks + to from Union station and other side of river are N/S tracks + to from intermodal yard..
When I was there yesterday around 4:30 to maybe 5:30 taking pix not one freight came thru / gates never descending..But other side of river I must have watched 4-5 Amtrak and MetroLink trains, huge gates descending over and over, most with those latest sexy Siemens engines !!
I think I'm right: Freighters are too long to block N.Main's traffic in day time..But the passenger trains go past so quick that that's the action 'til after rush hour at least. So I believe it's passenger, day time, and freight at night..
And yes, I did stay back far enough to be safe this time...;)
Thanks !

Last edited:
:eek: Iron-ic !! Just an hour ago I was watching Northern 3751 on YT vid as it travels east in mid of 10E fwy from Union Station L.A. ! I was in her seat AT U.Sta. few years back.. You must see this vid !! "Santa Fe 3751 (LA - San Bernadino) Feat. High Speed"...

Last edited:
Welp ! I done did it again !! Yesterday back to N.Main..Gotta be thee best ! Parked car and walked 50' to tracks..
There she be 50' before grade crossing, another nesting UP train, headlight blaring at me..Took more pix..Waited. More and more pix of tracks, him, city at dusk (my fav, over too quickly, time of day, sun going down, orange clouds)..
Lots of red aspect signals outside intermodal yard..Same traffic frequency: Nesting train not fouling grade crossing / likely waiting out rush hour / yet several passenger trains in / out Union Sta. on other side of bridge/river...What a view ! All of it ..
I believe in 1800s one side of river was UP and other side was competing, Santa Fe..
It's so perfect, right here, how one can see the N/S mains and at other bridges and street level areas, the E/W mains of this complex city/county..
I've gotten to know 'em all, the 42 years living here.. leave alone all the MRR clubs in the county...L.A. is swarming with trains..
Finally, I drove North to area off Mission Rd., wide open half mi..same tracks..2 remote switches here, stood right at motors...so awesome !

I think many don't realise that big cities that have a Union Station, the 'Union' the agreement among competing RRs to all unite at one large station instead of city needing 3,4,5 separate stations, leaving riders to chose the RR they need..

May we all have a safe (I'm one to talk !), happy summer,
PC 🛤️

While you might not get the same physical thrill, you could be a lot safer by using a camera with a telephoto lens. Please be careful out there!

No $ for pro camera..use Coolpix and did not walk toward train..Stayed at gates... Am respectful of RR property..
At Mission Rd area, can see quarter mi wide open in both directions. No trains. And is where I legally ran 2 Gen Sets to/from few years ago..
Will tell story another time....
Thanks for thoughts :rolleyes:

Last edited:
PC - We like photos too! Try and get yourself an el-cheapo digital camera or if you have a PCD (phone with a camera) make lots of pic and post on here.
Have you been to the BNSF intermodal yard in Santa Fe Springs ... lots of action there.

PC - We like photos too! Try and get yourself an el-cheapo digital camera or if you have a PCD (phone with a camera) make lots of pic and post on here.
Have you been to the BNSF intermodal yard in Santa Fe Springs ... lots of action there.
See post #11 ..:)

Someday will tool down to SF Springs..But there's so much 15 Min from me + Gold line (now L line) around the block, who's right of way used to be freight some 20 yrs back..

Back