List of industry needs?

Rigby

I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere but can someone point me to a list of industry needs?

For example on my line I will have logging feeding pulpwood to a paper mill. The mill will also need coal for its powerhouse, unless a suitable watercourse can be found, chemicals, etc. Has someone done a chart somewhere?

Not that I've ever seen but it's an interesting idea. If you take the case of a paper mill, I think going to the web site of a company like International Paper might give you more information than you'd get from modelers, especially since thay don't have to compress space in 1:1 scale. :)

Umm yes there is such a list....

http://members.aol.com/Shenware/indman.html

check it out you will be amazed of this program I have it and love it! I bought the total package from Peter White the author and programer and owner. A lot of free stuff in the toatal package. I use the Inventory program as well for my locos and rolling stock as well. Browse the site and enjoy the free trial stuff and free programs for your use!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alco - does that data base give you supplies in to industries served by rail? Looks like you could search for wood, for example, and see who receives it. Can you search by "XYZ paper company" and see everything they receive?

Alco, that's a very cool program. I looks like it's set up for what a prototype industry both receives and ships. Rigby, I doubt that this is exactly what you're looking for but it would be really neat to use for setting up waybills for an operating session.

Yes it does do that. It has a data base (40,000+) that when you search in any format you wish. it will list all that is involved to destinations to and from, materials & supplies, and comodities. It is very comprehensive. I have worked with Pete for some time on all of his programs. I bought the full package in NOV 2006 after using the demo. I have not looked back since. I love how all the programs interface with each other. My rosters have pics for locos and rolling stock then into waybills too. Easy to ID you rolling stock for work orders form. You can do it with or without pics etc. Then as for material list and industry list ver user friendly. It is worth every penny I spent. $69.95 with all of the following inclusive.... MiTrains® - a comprehensive inventory system for all railroad models and memoriabilia. Waybills - creates 4 cycle waybills. Micro-Trains(tm) database - all the Micro-Trains cars are here. (i think the micro-trains is all N scale stuff) All Free! IndMan Prototype Industry Manager - displays the 40,000 OpSig Prototype Industries

I even have my whole library collection of books, magazines, catalogs, memobilias etc on the MiTrains program as well for insurance purposes and personal tracking. I urge you to check it all out first with the free demo. This guy (Peter White) hates to type too. He has it set up for some serious mouse clicking efficiency!:D :eek: Also just to note this I do not get any kinda kick back either. I belong to his yahoo group for constant in the news stuff. Peter is a great guy and is a model railroader himself.

Also check out his demo and switching info...

Operational Switching Layouts at the bottom of his website....really in depth.

http://members.aol.com/PWhiteMR/ ....to view

Hello Rigby and others,
This program looks to be quite comprehensive but way more than I believe I need or even could use, at least in my estimation.

Aclo:
How does this program handle various time periods, and the need for the proiducts produced at that time? That is for example, in the early 1900's, as I'm modeling, many if not most all of the current business haden't materalized yet and the need to ship larger quantities didn't exist execpt for possibly the lumber businesses possibly and even then in the more rural areas the demand just wasn't there so doesn't that throw another variable into the data base which is not only population and reduced demand but what companies existed for various time periods and the demand for there various products produced?

I didn't study the program too extensively so I possibly missed some of what I'm refeing to and asking about but I hope it's valid?

Another example might be a Rural Saw mill might ship lumber to a larger city somewhere nearby as might also a Coal mine so isn't this again time period based to produce a list of needs or goods available for various locations and time periods?

It would be interesting to know just how the program handles some of these various factors.

David

Ah that is the beauty of this program. You can ADD new names (and delete) or industries to the existing data base that is supplied to you. You can add materials and supplies as well. As for time period the is up to you as well. The database that is supplied to you is very large and a broad scope from the 50's era and up (dont quote me on it) to now in most cases. I have seen older companies listed as well. Again though this a great tool and it grows with you and your model railroad as you progress.

So having a saw mill that provides raw materials like pulp, chips, mulch, rough lumber, poles, and or logs etc. All of this can be listed and can be set up for distribution to various destinations or manfactures or companies who need the supplies. Then in return the saw mill can have a list of supplies it needs to run the mill wether it be fuel source, blades, belts, parts, and or chemicals etc. The program can be taylored to your needs. Again take a good look at the switching operations and notice his waybills and train order formats etc on the website. All these this can be taylored by you for your MRR. I hope I answered your questions. But really it is that easy. try the demos and take the time to veiw all of it. You will not be disappointed.

I have a question for all you guys out there that are using DCC on there layouts...

Are you using JMRI yet? I will post some interesting info for a follow up....

Alco out!

I use a freeware switchlist program which I found online. You figure out what towns and industries you have, load in what kind of cars service them (and how many), and all you need to do is push a key and it randomly generates your train. You have to manually block it, and it presumes that you automatically pick up all cars currently spotted at the locations.

For a small operation, it works pretty well. There is also an online resource on all the industries out there; I think it might be linked to the OPSIG group.

Kennedy

Back