Liquid masking

Davidfd85

Soon I'm going to try my hand at more weathering after some practice. But when I stopped by my LHS I glanced at a bottle of liquid masking. I am going to need to mask off some windows and am wondering if this stuff is worth trying or if anybody has used it before, I just glanced at it and don't remember the maker, for some reason I want to say it was Tymia (sp). Sorry for spelling.

Thanks
David

I used a liquid masker before and have had mixed results. Basically the masker I used was just liquid latex. I do not know if the Tamiya masker is of the same material.

While the masker itself performed well, the problem came from the removal. In some areas it peeled off easy enough, but in other areas, it refused to be peeled off, and left remnants of the masker in places that could be seen. I even tried to remove it with tape, but that didn't always work either.

I use Humbrol Maskol (sp?) for my work. I use it as a way to seal edges of masking, I've had very good results with it.

While the masker itself performed well, the problem came from the removal. In some areas it peeled off easy enough, but in other areas, it refused to be peeled off, and left remnants of the masker in places that could be seen. I even tried to remove it with tape, but that didn't always work either.

Had you baked it Carey? I remember some grumbles about this way back when you painted your Ps-4. I use Microscale's brand when I paint wheel sets. It peels right off the journals, but one time I baked the wheel sets, and that darned stuff just about had to be filed off!

No, I didn't bake it. It was the old Cary's Magic Masker. I don't even know if Bowser even sells it anymore. But I can tell you this, it was a terrible product. Like I said, it was basically, (and it smelled like it as well), RTV latex. It would peel off well in some places, but not others.

I think that I'll try one of those suggested by Buzz and see how it works.

Just a thought but I wonder if the masking that I've seen painters use on house windows would be any good to try ? Don't have any idea what it is made of but I might look at it if nobody else has any info on it.

Never mind just looked it up on Bing and it says do not use on plastic

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked construction, I did doors and stairs. So I got to know a lot of the painters. I was able to get what was left in a gallon can of Benjamin Moore paints liquid mask. It was great stuff. Worked well, went on like water, peeled right off. it sold for $79.00 a gallon. A little to pricey for me. Plus, once opened, it would skin over and start to get chunks in it.

I have thinned the liquid mask to spray. I ended up putting about 10 very light coats on. Nice sharp razor knife, clean edge, then peeled very easy.

Buzz.

Back