Links Directory Comments Needed

modelbob

Administrator
I'm going to be doing some work on the suppliers section of the links directory.

In case you're not familiar with it, that directory has listings of commercial model railroad suppliers. Hobby shops, manufacturers, wholesalers etc.

What I'm wondering about is the manufacturer section. Should I consider dividing it up into scales? At the moment, I've got it divided up by structures, rolling stock, scenery etc. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't split it up by scales.

If you're in HO for example, would a section of the directory that only lists suppliers and manufacturers that furnish HO products be more useful to you?

Yes, very much so. It would be much easier to locate that way. Just be sure to do multiple listings for the manufacturers that do multiple scales.

I agree with Ray. If there are suppliers that only specialize in one scale, it could be helpful but, since most suppliers work with multiple gauges, it seems like you've have a lot of duplication. Why not have an "All Scales" section and then separate listing for the specialty suppliers?

Yes, if we go by scale, then I'll have duplicates.

On the other hand, if more folks would find it useful to have it be scale specific, then that's probably the best approach.

I'm working on some ideas.

I dunno how you links system works, but I'd assume it'd be possible to select more then one section for a link? That way its really only entered once, but say, Athearn which has HO & N, would show up under HO or N, ect?

I like the thought of scale specific, but have passed over that on my own links directory on model railroad tips because of the double (or more) posting, since I could not figure out how to get multiple categories to work.

In the end, either way is nice, I'd say have a "Multi scale" and scale specific sections, thus eliminating the need for the duplicates.

Bob either way is alright . If it takes a little more time to find something I'm a patient fellow amd have a bit if time on my hands .

Back