Lets see your Freelance Gensets

DUDE!
Where'd you get the GMD-1????
you've been holding out on us...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought the GMD1's were ungainly and liked the look of the Gensets from the time they were released. Seeing the two of them together I guess the GMD1 is a lot more similar then I gave it credit for.

@ Rico... The GMD-1 is my Dad's. It is an Overland brass model and runs like a top.

@ Stephen... Yes they do look nice together and show the similarities and differences between the two. I have always liked the GMD-1s for their uniqueness compared to anything else and the fact that they are one of those Canadian -isms that we can call all our own. I guess since I can't afford GMD-1s, I will grab another Genset when I get another good deal. I have really fallen for them.

LOL, it's funny, my Dad wasn't a fan of them, but after running mine on his layout, he kept hinting I should "forget" it at his place.

@ Jerome, other than a few out of production brass models, no one makes them. There is a lot of us Canucks that think someone should though. Hint Hint Atlas ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've bit the bullet and bought one. :D

After a good long look around I found a nice deal on a CSX #1301 in Ontario and it is now on its way here, hopefully safe and sound. Thanks Anthony, Bev and Barry at The Train Cellar.
That's great! I've known Bev for years now, from back when The Train Cellar really was in the cellar! Fantastic people to deal with.

Here is my Freelanced Genset. I added tread plate and replaced the handrails with wire to be closer to scale. This paint scheme is unique to this unit as it is a test bed to see if Gensets are suitable for the SWO. Government grants helped finance this testbed unit.

SWO-210-3GS21B-fab01.png

SWO-210-3GS21B-fab02.png

Photos are taken on my modules at the Windsor Modular Railroad Club

I'll second that Fred, very nice indeed. Your lines between colors are very clean. Are you using decals or painting them on??

Cool, I wish they were more readily available up here. I wouldn't mind another 1 or 2.

Back