Let's see your first layout

My first layout was a Lionel on a large table my Dad built. I think I was about 4 then. (1952) Had to stand on a step stool to run it..LOL! (Still do, if layout is over 50" off the floor;)). The engine was a Pennsy 6-8-6. By the time I was 7, I got a set of F units A-B-A in Southern Green. I was in heaven then, until Dad disabled the horn mechanism..LOL! I coulkd go on but, you get the story.:D

Chip! You're alive! :) Good to see you still working on the layout. I often refer new modelers to your beginner's page.

Although I've been "training" since I was 4, I never had a permanent layout till later. From 4-6 I had several Marx sets, both clockwork and electric. They all ran on track circles. At 6 I received my first real model, an AF "dual" train set. Had 2 locos, about 12 cars, 2 cabooses, and 4 turnouts. I was basically "designing" layouts even then. Everytime it got set up there was always one passing siding, and a 2 track yard of some kind. Could never have anything that stayed up all the time cause we never had the room.
My first layout in HO, when I was 8, was a very simple affair. A simple oval of track with a Tru-scale #4 switch built from a kit. The entire size was just about 3.5"X5". It had to slide under my bed when not in use. I had no ground cover or structures on it, but I did some experimentation with some homemade trees made from 30ga. steel wire twisted together, painted brown and then covered with green lichen turfs. In my imagination, those trees turned the layout into one that traveled thru the dense forests of the south, as the fast freight worked hard to stay on schedule to get to its destination. My only loco at the time, a Rivarossi 0-4-0 dockside had no trouble pulling all 6 cars I owned then. Since then I have had 7 more layouts, each a lot better than the one that preceded it.

Chip! You're alive! :) Good to see you still working on the layout. I often refer new modelers to your beginner's page.

Yup. Just starting a new layout after I had to tear my last start down. My wife needed the space for her artwork. Have a new space now so will be satrting again. Should be posting the new plan soon.

Sorry no pics of the old layout. What I did back then was I used two 2 sheets of plywood from an old waterbed side by side with a sheet of LifeLike grass on top of it. I put down some buildings and trees too. I used hotwheels cars on the roads since back then I couldn't afford any of the fancy Roco, Trident, and Busch stuff. As for trackwork I just laid down a simple loop nothing too fancy. The trains were a mix of a Bachmann set, Lifelike and Tyco. I didn't really care or think much about operation since being a kid I was mostly just interested in watching the trains pass through the scenery. I liked Santa Fe at the time so that's what I ran back then.

I put it in a section of our dinging room. The downside was it was in prime territory for Invasions from The Fifty Foot Cat. Vehicles were batted around, freight cars derailed, and trees were eaten. Since then I learned to build layouts in the basement where the cats don't go since I keep the door closed.

It's not my 1st, it was my second, circa 1975. Not too shabby for a 14 year old, but light years behind what I have now. Notice the Tyco Century and the Lionel FA doubleheading......I still have both, and both have been repowered!
My1stlayout_resize.jpg

Shots from my first layout, the CP Rail Grimm Valley Subdivision. Located in a 12 by 18 room. Tracks went around the room three times.

It existed from 1988-94 in a previous house.

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

OL2.png

OL6.png

OL4.png

Thanks. I modelled southeastern B.C., from Cranbrook to Kingsgate, B.C./Eastport, ID, where it connected with the Union Pacific.

It started out as a freelance line, but morphed into CP Rail as I learned more about the hobby and decided to focus on a specific railway, location and era.

John

Back