Let's Scratchbuild a D&RGW Water Tank

Here is a C&S water tank and pump house that I built this week off of a single photo supplied from the client. These pieces are in On3. The last shot is the photo that they were built from. The third shot is of the model from nearly the same angle and only lacks the wood ladder. Note in the prototype photo the tank appears to be having problems as there are several "props" trying to keep it up which were not modeled at the clients request.

Beautiful tank.

I'm surprised by the flat roof. I wonder if snow weight and crushing was ever a problem for this style of C&S tank. But not being too familiar with C&S, I don't know much about the line and what type of weather it received.

Matt, the C&S is the successor to the Denver and South Park, snow was typical of the D&RGW/RGS, however nearly all of the C&S tanks had flat roofs made from 3x12's.

Matt

Some various tanks that I am building this week.

First one is a waste tank for a slaughter house. It is done in O scale.

Then there is a freelanced shortline tank based on the Jamestown tank on the Sierra Railroad. This it tank made famous in the opening scenes of Pettycoat Junction. This one is being built in HO.

Bringing up the rear is another D&RGW tank. This on is also in O scale. I have two more of these including a double spout version on the books for construction in the next couple of weeks.

Matt, nice work on those water tanks, especially the well weathered D&RGW tank. SW Matt, I've always been surprised by the flat roofs on the C&S tanks also because there was still a fair amount of snow load on the old South Park line. I think the difference is that most of the South Park line was on flatter ground and snow accumulation came from blowing snow, which a flat roof handled better than peaked roofs. The construction was pretty stout also, as Matt said, with the roof being supported by 3x12's.

Scratch built water tank. The spout mechanism came from an article in RMC three years ago on a short line tank in Canada. The "weight" used on the prototype was a old blower housing. The "water" in the tank is Envrotex Light and is only about 1/16" deep (single pour). The footing are hand carved hydrocal plaster. Entire tank is board by board construction.

D&RGW 50,000 gallon tank with hand laid individual wood shingles and board by board construction through out. Grant Line spout is the only commercial part used. Each of the 26 tank band fasteners have 8 parts. Footings are hand carved hydrocal and painted to represent the red sandstone foundations these tanks started life with. Scale is On30 for this clients layout.

HO Scale. Scratchbuilt Short Line or Narrow Gauge Open Top Water Tank with a pair of female swimmers taking a dip. Tank is modeled after the C&S style tanks which have a unique leg system where the front/back legs are not attached to the middle pair. Tank features board by board construction through out. All lumber is prestained to get a very realistic look to the tank. Grant Line NBW castings are liberally used on the legs and spout assembly. Grant Line spout. Water surface is Envirotex Light and features an interior ladder desending into it along with the fill pipe and release rod for the spout. The 16 tank bands feature scratchbuilt tightners each of which have 8 parts. Heavy weathering on the tank body and legs. Both girls are in 40's-50's style bathing suits. This piece is a real eye catcher and reminds me of the opening of "Petticoat Junction".

Back