Lenz DCC and anroid

Charles Smiley

cspmovies
What's the easiest way to have Android tablet control on a Lenz DCC system? I already adapted the Lenz to use CVP wireless throttle controls. I like the Lenz boosters but they are about 10-years behind in throttle designs now. I have 8-inch Lenovo tablets but have no interest in using smart phones.

The most useful thing would be remote control from multiple locations of turnouts. I still like the CVP wireless throttles - they use a proprietary RF communication scheme.

What's the easiest way to have Android tablet control on a Lenz DCC system? I already adapted the Lenz to use CVP wireless throttle controls. I like the Lenz boosters but they are about 10-years behind in throttle designs now. I have 8-inch Lenovo tablets but have no interest in using smart phones.

The most useful thing would be remote control from multiple locations of turnouts. I still like the CVP wireless throttles - they use a proprietary RF communication scheme.

This doesn't directly answer your question but the easiest way to have a Lenz compatible system that supports a tablet based throttle application would be to install a Roco Z21 command station.

What started all this was my layout expansion. I want to use Cobalt switch machines and get away from the bulky tortoise units. So buying the DCC contrlled machines seems like a good idea. Graphical displays with wifi will make a nice upgrade.

I have redundant relay controlled bus line on the whole layout so hot-switching from the old Lenz control system to another new System will help me debug 'issues' when switching over.

Last edited by a moderator:
What started all this was my layout expansion. I want to use Cobalt switch machines and get away from the bulky tortoise units. So buying the DCC contrlled machines seems like a good idea. Graphical displays with wifi will make a nice upgrade.

I have redundant relay controlled bus line on the whole layout so hot-switching from the old Lenz control system to another new System will help me debug 'issues' when switching over.

I have a Z21 so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Be cautious with those Cobalt machines.

I purchased a quantity of the original units but the failure rate was over 20%.

The replacements sent by the manufacture were no better.

I gave up on them and went with Tortoise.

I never tried any of the newer Cobalt units - once burned, twice shy.

Frederick

I never tried any of the newer Cobalt units - once burned, twice shy.

Frederick[/QUOTE]

Well I read a few more negatves on the Cobalts and then found Tam Valley Depot that has DCC boards that operate R/C servo motors in a clever way. It come with fascia LEDs and local pushbuttons and lots of supporting accessories. The R/C servo motors make sense and are widely available for replacement. The electronics will last for many years.

link.

http://tamvalleydepot.com/products/microsingletservodecoder.html

Back