Lenght of heavyweight baggage cars

My Rivarossi cars are 85 footers, but the only baggage cars I can find are 60 footers. Is that prototypically correct or a model manufacturing tradeoff?

Bill

You have to research what your prototype RR used. Chances are they used everything from 60 to 80 foot models with one, two and even three doors per side.

My Rivarossi cars are 85 footers, but the only baggage cars I can find are 60 footers. Is that prototypically correct or a model manufacturing tradeoff?
Generally that is prototypically correct. Many baggage, RPO, mail storage, and other similar head end cars were shorter than the sleepers and coaches. However had you asked, I would have said the RPOs were in the 60 foot range while standard baggage would be 70 footers. I believe all the current production Hornby/Rivarossi cars are only the 60' variety (not just the baggage but coaches, combines as well). If you want the longer ones you will have to search the used market for AHM or Rivarossi made in the 1970s and 80s.

Don't rightly know what this is supposed to be, a baggage car? It says B&O and it's HO scale 85 feet long. It has a strange window array.
WIN_20160201_163352.JPG
WIN_20160201_163400.JPGI'll run it regardless, it says it's a "Tri-ang" on the bottom, has good wheels, somebody put truck mounted couplers on it looks like a long time ago and it rolls ok. Got it in for a buck. Some folks don't know what they are selling.

If you are modelling a prototype RR'd and hoping to find models of the coaches/cars they ran, then to get a better idea of that, then some Googling and research of that RR'd is the best way to find out. Try this site
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/ In the left panel under "View Photos" you can choose different things, I suggest select by Railroad, this will take you to this page http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/railroadList.aspx There you can search from the modern RRd's in the large panel , or choose from the "Pick a Type" pane, say Fallen Flags, if your road is no longer in existence. If you know your roads reporting marks (the initials shown on loco cabs etc) you can search by typing them in that box.

NG, Your car looks like either a Baggage/dorm (dormitory rooms for crew) or maybe an RPO/Baggage. I'm leaning to the former, the several small windows on one side denote the dorms and the 2 on the other the corridor past them.

Last edited by a moderator:
NG's just using his version of "Mr Wilson" who we never got a clear view of his mouth, NG's doing the "Lone Ranger" style.

Back