LEDs install for dc locomotive

pnova56

I need some help. I want to install led lights on some old dc locomotives (penn line 4-6-2, 2-8-2 and gg1). I have the leds and resistors. What I would like to have the leds at a constant brightness and stay on no matter of the train’s direction or speed, if possible.
If this is possible does anyone know what parts I need and where to source them?
I believe I need a zener diode and bridge rectifier but I’m not sure.

thanks
Pat

I believe all you need is the LED and a bridge rectifier. Connect the A/C leads of the rectifier to track power and the D/C leads to the LED. The rectifier diodes will provide the voltage drop to run the LED.

I need some help. I want to install led lights on some old dc locomotives (penn line 4-6-2, 2-8-2 and gg1). I have the leds and resistors. What I would like to have the leds at a constant brightness and stay on no matter of the train’s direction or speed, if possible.
If this is possible does anyone know what parts I need and where to source them?
I believe I need a zener diode and bridge rectifier but I’m not sure.

thanks
Pat
I rectifier will work as @timlange3 has posted, but you'll need either a resistor between the rectifier input and the locomotive or a pre-wired 12v LED which already has a resistor fitted.

Last edited:

Back