LBF 50 foot HiCube Boxcar missing underframe. Any ideas?

Mike_Arnold

Newbie Modeler
LBF 60 foot HiCube Boxcar missing underframe. Any ideas?

So I went to a train show, and picked up an LBF 60 foot HiCube Boxcar for around $10. Well I get home, unbox the kit and lay out all the pieces. Turns out the entire underframe is missing. I know LBF is no longer in business so does anyone know of a way to get ahold of one of these without having to purchase an entire car? The only other thing I can think of is building one out of styrene. Any advice is appreciated. I'll be able to upload photos later tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find out who made the prototype then find a model of that car & use that underframe. And if you're not that fussy, use any other 50' underframe. You could also do a want to buy (WTB) on the Yahoo Group buying/selling forums.

If the bolsters are there, I think that I would leave it alone. I suspect that finding parts for them will be very difficult at best.

They are but the truck slides all the way up the bolster. Maybe some small washers would fix that? The car in question.
v5JORsN.jpg

Number 2 is the piece that's missing (still can't believe it's missing)
BHDaWzd.jpg

EofMo45.jpg

Are you missing the whole sprue of underframe parts? The most important ones would be 13 and 13a on the sheet you've shown, which are the bolster and coupler pocket combination. One issue is that the LBF trucks sit lower at their bolster than other trucks, so you would need to build up a bolster from scratch or kitbash one that matched the LBF truck height. If you have the bolster-coupler pocket combo in the kit, you're way ahead of the game. Otherwise, it's trial and error. However, that's such a nice looking car and interesting prototype that I'd definitely go for it -- the underframe itself isn't really visible from the side anyhow.
TBOX 661310.JPG

Are you missing the whole sprue of underframe parts? The most important ones would be 13 and 13a on the sheet you've shown, which are the bolster and coupler pocket combination. One issue is that the LBF trucks sit lower at their bolster than other trucks, so you would need to build up a bolster from scratch or kitbash one that matched the LBF truck height. If you have the bolster-coupler pocket combo in the kit, you're way ahead of the game. Otherwise, it's trial and error. However, that's such a nice looking car and interesting prototype that I'd definitely go for it -- the underframe itself isn't really visible from the side anyhow

Jwb, as I looked more closely I am also missing the coupler pocket combo! The frustration continues. I really want to salvage this car and use it with the other HiCubes that I already have. So maybe I should go about building bolsters and a coupler box then.

Well, you said 50' in the title and i didn't read the box and didn't see it was a 60'. I have a 50' kit, still in wrapper. It's a UMP box. Sorry.

Well, you said 50' in the title and i didn't read the box and didn't see it was a 60'. I have a 50' kit, still in wrapper. It's a UMP box. Sorry.

I was going off memory when I made the thread, sorry. Haha. I tried to correct my error as best I could. That's okay I appreciate the thought!

I've used strip styrene for frames before with good results.
As for the coupler box that may be trickier but doable.

Okay, so I cannibalized an old blue box box car and made this work, finally after sitting for 8 months I was tired of looking at this awesome hicube and not being able to run it.

lwsvZgM.jpg

1Bs3nxi.jpg

FbhWZw2.jpg

lDC0KaB.jpg

Just wanted to update to put this to rest. lol.

Back