Layout plan 20 years in the making

B

bob_suruncle

I have been a model railhead since I was a weee lad of 4 when I got my first train set... not to date myself but that was over 36 years ago! :eek: In that time I have bought materials, built structures, helped others build layouts, worked at a hobby shop and now own a hobbyshop.... and other than a couple of switching layouts I have never built anything until now. Attached for your viewing pleasure my new layout plan.

double ended Staging below that will hold a 25+ car train.. still working through some details regarding scenery profiles and such but the basic plan should remain pretty much intact. Based very loosely on the Finger Lakes but I will back date to steam as the mood hits me and run FGLK steam.... I know it never existed but its my layout and I can do what I want :p :D The nice part is that although my railroad is freelanced in the strictest sense of the word it will have some grounding in reality.

Trackage along the back of the layout will be about 5" higher to help separate scenes.

The only thing I notice right off is that there could be some reach issues unless you make a popup or two. Other then that it looks good!

One question.....the track with the train on it in the lower right, is it the upper or lower track on that bridge? Or is that an on grade crossing? Personally, I'd make that track the lower one so you can start gaining height for the run across the back and also to start easing your way down into staging.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I notice right off is that there could be some reach issues unless you make a popup or two. Other then that it looks good!

One question.....the track with the train on it in the lower right, is it the upper or lower track on that bridge? Or is that an on grade crossing? Personally, I'd make that track the lower one so you can start gaining height for the run across the back and also to start easing your way down into staging.

Thats the lower track passing under the other heading down into staging. Yes there are a few potential reach issues but benchwork will be bullet proof and track will be 100% before any hardshell goes down. Note that the entire left side of the layout is open... the salt mine is on a peninsula so I can access all the way up to where the track ducks under to staging.... same on the other end ... full access to each blob.

Yes its HO. Attached is a further revision to the plan... and probably nearly final revision.

The area on the lower blob now allows me to model one of the gorges along the way with a nice curved bridge without affecting entry into staging below

Thats the lower track passing under the other heading down into staging. Yes there are a few potential reach issues but benchwork will be bullet proof and track will be 100% before any hardshell goes down. Note that the entire left side of the layout is open... the salt mine is on a peninsula so I can access all the way up to where the track ducks under to staging.... same on the other end ... full access to each blob.

Trackwork must be cleaned and out of guage rolling stock can derail. Plus you have scenery to lay and buildings to maintain. You cannot assume that you will never need to reach out of reach areas.

Looks like the making of a great coal hauling layout! Especialy if you aproach that mine (?) on the upper left as a facing point, forcing a run-around to spot cars.
Rico

BTW: come to think of it, yes Bob IS my uncle! :)

I'm assuming that after 20 years that every track has a purpose in your mind. The one track that stands out as awkward is what I'm assuming is an A/D track between the yard and mainlines. I doubt that the railroad would put is so far from the yard and waste space and rail. Also it looks from your plan not to line up anyway. so I would bring it in tight against the yard.

Other than that, there is a conspicuous lack of passing sidings, something that if you ever operate with friends, will be missed.

Trackwork must be cleaned and out of guage rolling stock can derail. Plus you have scenery to lay and buildings to maintain. You cannot assume that you will never need to reach out of reach areas.

Trust me SM... I am well aware of that fact from experience ;) . All track will be accessible one way or another. Rolling stock will all be weighted and wheels gauged prior to being placed on the layout (thats one of my own rules). There are a few things that I would change if space permitted but the reach issues were all based on a balance between space limitations and reach limitations... the only tough spot will be the left side blob and only then if I derail in an area about 2' in length.... I can get at it but it would require some acrobatics to do so :D

Looks like the making of a great coal hauling layout! Especialy if you aproach that mine (?) on the upper left as a facing point, forcing a run-around to spot cars.
Rico

BTW: come to think of it, yes Bob IS my uncle! :)

Actually that would be a salt hauling layout ;) although I had toyed with the idea of making the mine on the right side a coal mine instead of salt

I'm assuming that after 20 years that every track has a purpose in your mind. The one track that stands out as awkward is what I'm assuming is an A/D track between the yard and mainlines. I doubt that the railroad would put is so far from the yard and waste space and rail. Also it looks from your plan not to line up anyway. so I would bring it in tight against the yard.

Other than that, there is a conspicuous lack of passing sidings, something that if you ever operate with friends, will be missed.

Me I dont have any friends :p actually It would generally only be myself and/or one other operating which is very easy to facilitate. I have run this on Xtrkcad and there is a pile o switching work for 2 operators without fouling each other or the main as the main which runs through the staging below. The track you noted was actually going to be a team track... it could be moved over closer to the yard...but I set it out to allow room for a raised loading ramp.. not sure I know what an A/D track is....

Bob, A/D track is shorthand for approach/departure. I think Chip is saying it would make more sense to pull the entire yard closer to the bottom edge of the layout and have the team track come off the top of the yard, where you should have enough room for loading ramps and access.

I'm assuming the dashed lines are your hidden staging yard. That should work as long as your grade in and out doesn't exceed 2% and you can get to all the cars easily.

Your layout does only show one passing track, on the right hand blob. I would double track that section on the left of the right hand blob and then add another passing track to the top single track mainline. That should solve the passing track issue.

I think Chip is saying it would make more sense to pull the entire yard closer to the bottom edge of the layout and have the team track come off the top of the yard, where you should have enough room for loading ramps and access.
If he did that he'd lose storage space in the yard, as he'd have to shorten all the tracks to fit inside the curve.

About the only issue I have with the team track is how you'd get road access to it. That and the runaround there - I think it might be superfluous.

Your layout does only show one passing track, on the right hand blob. I would double track that section on the left of the right hand blob and then add another passing track to the top single track mainline. That should solve the passing track issue.

What would you call that long double-track section on the lower edge of the top arm? With a turnout over on the right blob and two crossovers in front of the yard? Looks like a passing siding to me! :p :)

thanks for all the comments... including the negative ones. I have reviewed all input and probably the only thing I dont think I want to do would be to move the yard closer to the main... as Squidbait noted It would significantly reduce the length of the yard tracks and be visually less appealing as the LCL track would generally be hidden by freight cars. I have made some minor revisions though to improve flow.

Please note that my 20 years in the making comment not only includes track planning (which has only been ongoing for the past few years) but also 10 - 15 years of just pondering what I wanted to model :)

Oh and Jim: in terms of passing sidings there is one along the yard and another up along the the right side ... the one on the right side does still require running on the main to switch the industry... but with the limited space its the best I could come up with. Grades into staging should be right around 2.5%. If anyone has any ideas on changes let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back