Layout Design Question

jbovinette

Florida Railroads
I am starting my first layout and I have a couple questions to ask. I am modeling the CSX Fernandina Beach Subdivision from Yulee to Fernandina Beach in HO scale and there is a lot of territory to cover in a small space. I am going to be working in a 10'x20' garage. I have to maximize the space that I have for the layout (and for other things) I am wanting to do a shelf type layout. How deep of a layout is too deep?

Here is a basic idea of the layout (it would be a point to point type layout)

On would start with Yulee Yard,

After the yard there is a spur for BlueLinx Building Products Distribution Company and Spears Manufacturing Co. (PVC Fittings).

The main line would continue on crossing a small creek then continuing on to cross a small island then crossing a single track swing bridge that crosses the intercoastal waterway to enter Fernandina Beach.

After the bridge there would be another small industry.

The mainline continues on to Fernandina Beach Yard. Right before the yard there would be a spur for Rayonier (not modeled). But after the Yard it continues to a couple small industries such as Florida Petroleum Corporation, Fernandina Seafood and then continues on to the Port of Fernandina, but right after the yard the tracks cross by Historic Fernandina. On this end of the layout there would be some nice water scenes.

I really don't know how to fit all of this into a layout. I posted something about a week ago asking what to model and what not to model. I know to model things that are interesting and mean something but I don't know if its all going to fit. Can someone help me with this?

I have attached a pdf of a VERY rough sketch of what I am thinking about. Any kind of input would greatly appreciated.

John Bovinette
jbovinette@macpulse.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Back