laying track

lokithorjls

newbie wanting to learn
I have run HO before but badly. so I concider myself a real newbie. I am building a new layout in N scale and need advise on how to lay track. from what I have been told taking time to lay the track in N scale is very important to successful running. I am told to take a lot of care. but just what does that mean. I need more explicit directions. I am laying cork on plywood. I will use a staple gun to put the cork down but how do I put the track down? glue? nails?
Also any advise about using flextrack would be helpful. I have peco switches and am planning on a min 17 inch radius curve. I want to thank all of you for all the help and advise you have given me. I am sure I have avoided many pitfalls because of it. jerry

Hi, Jerry, and welcome back to the hobby. N scale track is not harder to lay than HO track, you just need to pay more attention to things like curve alignments, rail joints, and switches. I'd recommend that you get the book at http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12235.html and read it before you start laying track. It will give you clear directions on how to lay reliable track and help you avoid the pitfalls of just jumping in with both feet.

Hi Jerry. I made the biggest mistake one can make on laying track, and that is after I layed the track,we started building scenery and everything else without first testing the track to make sure everything is ok. Also, I used flex track, and didn't follow the radius like I should have. My layout looks fantastic, but am having a few problems running my trains.

Back