Larger rock/grass/dirt face... New to forums

dunginhawk

Good evening folks... First off, let me say I am brand new to this forum, and brand new to model railroads in general. Ive never tried anything like this before..
Im 42 years old, my daughter is 8, and very craftsy, and artistic. I figured this would be something fun we could do together.

So I started with a 5x3 or so HO scale kit. Bought some foamboard. Layed it out as I want it and went to it.

I am kind of stuck now... I wanted to build the back wall, rock, hills/mountains first, so that could blend down in to the town, etc.
I decided to create my hills/rocks etc out of Screen and Toilet paper + watered down modge podge. Let me tell you, it worked pretty dang well. Let it dry overnight and it was pretty dang crusty.
We finished the rest of the wall structure tonight and its drying now. We have one more archway to put in and finish, but for the most part you can see that its done.

NOW is where I am struggling with what to do next. Here is a google album I created to share the photos, rather than posting a bunch here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EgE6u2tJmVfMXS5t7

It needs more layers, for sure.. its not strong enough with 1 layer of TP. Do I put on plaster and try to maintain the contours as best i can? Do I just put on more layers of TP and Modge Podge?
Is there enough rocky out croppings visible to look real?
I know there are molds I could buy, but those are more for adhering to flat faces are they not?
Im just kind of at a loss for how to proceed.

I had kind of envisioned this area as part rocky out croppings, part grass, part dirt not too far off from something like this
1578278647028.png

At least thats what I was going for when I dreamed this up.

Again, I am a blank slate... I take ZERO offense to criticism . Ive never attempted anything like this.. I appreciate all advice/help.

thank you

I have to ask , how are you going to fasten the track down where it runs through the mountain? Maybe I am not understanding something here. The molds you can buy are very flexible allowing for rock castings to be put on uneven surfaces quite easily , as long as you place them while the plaster is just about to set . Then you can put the mold down and bend it how you like . You can find many you-tube vids on this. I personally use plaster and paper towels rather than the TP and modge podge but there are as many ways to do it as there are layouts .

Looks like you're off to a good start. One thing I would add is to suggest cutting an access hole or two on the backside of the mountain. It will make life simpler when the time comes to reach a derailed piece of equipment. Also, the plaster and paper towels would be stronger, especially if you use Hydrocal plaster.

So I opened up the back of the Foam (the wall side) so I can get behind it and work on it. The track I have for this layout is just EZ track, so i can glue it down, whatever... not a big deal... I may just use some hot glue every 6 inches or so.

Ill def check out some vids on that..

Another question... Assuming I buy some molds etc,, it seems like to me that Id want to buy a mold with multiple smaller rocks, maybe some larger ones, but not a rock face per sae (like 6" x whatever).
thank you for the post

Looks like you're off to a good start. One thing I would add is to suggest cutting an access hole or two on the backside of the mountain. It will make life simpler when the time comes to reach a derailed piece of equipment. Also, the plaster and paper towels would be stronger, especially if you use Hydrocal plaster.
SO with paper towels and plaster, do you just mix the plaster a bit runny, then put the paper towel in, saturate it and then place it? Not going to lie, that sounds like a LOT faster and easier than what I did haha. Guess thats why its my first time ..
It does seem like If I want to do some boulders or rocks id want to make a much thicker plaster so I can push the rocks in.

Lots of videos on YouTube that will show you step by step how to do mountain scenery. I'm a flatlander from central Illinois. All we have are some hills and hollers!

OK.. ive watched some.. going to buy like 6 molds :) some other stuff etc.. im interested in static grass... i have about 4-5 ft of hillside to do and a lot around town... any suggestions on what to get there? Id like to buy a nice static grass applicator etc too..
btw, thank you all for your help so far... again this is all new to me. so i appreciate it.

for your hillside you may want to consider clump foliage . Again you tube is your friend , there are several videos on how to make your own . When you have to cover a lot of hillside you may also want to consider using the puffball method , just kind of depends on what look you are going for .

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to make a static grass applicator out of a Harbor Freight electric fly swatter. It may not be quite as powerful as the $100 models, but it does work. Compare one of those made for about $15 to one for $100. Worth trying!

I'll agree with the others that you're off to a good start. It's when you start painting that it really starts to come to life!

Back