Large Scale-Outdoors-1:29(or so)-Washington Idaho & Montana Ry Co

SteveF

The Washington Idaho & Montana Ry. Co.

Running generally from Bovil, ID to Palouse, WA. The WI&M never made it to Montana. The WI&M is battery powered and radio controlled.

Bovil, ID yard

1a7b4_5bab.jpg

That dead vine on the house is my hops plant.

Leaving Bovil

1a7b6_e786.jpg

Dartmouth, ID

1a7b8_a5d3.jpg

The Chief Engineer of the WI&M was an Ivy Leaguer, so some of the place names he made were after Ivy League schools that he favored.

Borrowed Scenery
1a7ba_11db.jpg

Entering Deary, ID
1a7be_7763.jpg

There will be some sidings, here, for grain elevators.

Deary, ID
1a7c0_1f3c.jpg

Deary is named after one of the principals of the WI&M

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving Deary
1a7c2_f9b6.jpg

The gate keeps the chickens out of SWMBOs garden.

Heading downhill to Potlatch, ID
1a7c6_f8eb.jpg

I've pulled the grass weeds since this photo was taken.

Potlatch, ID
1a7c8_3197.jpg

Home of WI&M's maintenance facilities, as well as the world's largest lumber mill.

The bridge over what will someday be the mill pond at Potlatch
1a7ca_1382.jpg

Heading towards Bennett Lumber Company in Princeton, ID
1a7cc_8719.jpg

Potlatch Forest Products chief competitor.

The Wye at Whiterock
1a7d4_a6a1.jpg

There is no White Rock on the WI&M. I copied this puzzle from Dave Goodson's Colorado Consolidated Railway. To shunt the cars into the right spot takes an agile mind.

Leaving the Wye and entering White Rock
1a7d6_791c.jpg

The world's best brakeman.
1a7c4_b64d.jpg

Gysgt John Basilone, aka "Gunny." My partner in crime.

White Rock
1a7d8_95e2.jpg

The buildings will be placed once the wind dies down.

Leaving White Rock on the way to Palouse, WA

1a7da_8942.jpg

End of Track
1a7dc_e938.jpg

Palouse, WA and Lairds Yard will be built on the table in the background

Turning on the Wye to head back to Bovil
1a7e2_cada.jpg

Leaving the Wye and joining the main line.
1a7e4_86f9.jpg

Entering Potlatch from the West
1a7e6_5286.jpg

Grinding up hill
1a7d0_ed5d.jpg

Returning to Bovil

BS Junction
1a7e8_6046.jpg

This is where the WI&M meets Andy Clarke's Bluestone Southern, though we know that is just BS.

Snakey S Curves returning through Deary.
1a7ec_13ed.jpg

SWMBO's Chicken coop in the background

More S Curve
1a7ea_64f7.jpg

Returning to Bovil
1a7ee_4281.jpg

Double rainbow taken on the same day as these photos

1a7b0_2428.jpg

wow, i want to build one. that is really sweet, very cool long straights. A video would be even better:D. I have some ideas for the back yard, but nothing solid yet......great pics!

Really nice! How many scale miles do you get on a set of batteries? Are the batteries a standard type or are they made differently for different locos?

Really nice! How many scale miles do you get on a set of batteries? Are the batteries a standard type or are they made differently for different locos?

Bob, I've never considered how many miles I can get on a charge, but I wear out before the batteries do.:D If just running on the loop, I can get 2.5 to 3 hours with that consist at a prototypical scale 25-35 mph. I do that while gardening. If I am switching freight, ... well, like I said, I wear out before the batteries do. I suspect that they might last 4.5 hours or more, with the understanding that a lot of that time is with the locomotive stopped while I couple, uncouple, throw the points, and so on.

The batteries are Sub-C NiMH, 18.6 volts at 3300 mA. Pretty standard. I use Aristocraft's 27 mHz Train Engineer in a trail car for the radio control in that particular consist. That is ancient technology. but it still works. Other locomotives use mostly Airwire stuff.

That is just so cool to have the room to do that.
Luv every aspect of your living space, RR, and garden.
Be sure and give your conductor a hug from me!

WOW!!! great layout. Where ar you located? I am in Colfax, Wa. Scenery looks a lot like it is around here...Great pics...I am in the planning stages for the WI&M in HO scale. I was raised in Palouse & Potlatch, where we plan on retireing to.....breezy8

Back