Large layouts/yard space ?

tlark

With 900sqft+/- off space available I already have a significant portion of track laid and currently have 4 yards tracks that can hold at least 20 HO cars per track or 14'-17' per track.

I know, a lot a variables on how you operate, but for you guys with the larger layouts what are the lengths of your yard tracks , anyone....anyone

Oh, how do you guys get the layout plans on this site so others can see ??

Last edited by a moderator:
As I don't have a large layout, I'll not address your main question, but I can help with the image problem. You must have a server that acts as a proxy holding your image file. You must post the URL of the full-sized image, but the full-sized image with the file size accepted at a host site, such as railimages.com, photobucket, and others.

Precede and succeed each image URL with square brackets [ and ] but in the first case the pair contains "img" and in the last case, "/img". That code tells the server here to find the URL at your hosts site. You'll need to register at these other places to get an account, but they are free.

On the layout that I run on, the NKP from Belleview, OH to Chicago, IL, the owner of the layout has about 30x50 ft to model in. He has 30 foot yard tracks in Belleview, and 50 in Fort Wayne.

Hope that helps.

It all depends on what the yard is being used for. If it's only for short term storage, called a make-up yard, because trains are made up and broken apart there, then longer tracks are a good thing since you have more romm for complete trains. Just make sure you have at least one crossover in the yard or your switcher wil get stuck at some point.

Storage yards are another issue. This is where cars that aren't currrently being called for lading or cars excess to the railroad's traffic are stored. These yards need more short tracks since it's likely that a dispatcher may call for a specific car when an order comes in. Digging through 20' or 30' long tracks can be a real chore for a switch crew compared to 3' or 4' long tracks. If you are madeling a large layout, which it appears that you plan to do, you'll need space for both types of yards.

It all depends on what the yard is being used for. If it's only for short term storage, called a make-up yard, because trains are made up and broken apart there, then longer tracks are a good thing since you have more romm for complete trains. Just make sure you have at least one crossover in the yard or your switcher wil get stuck at some point.

Storage yards are another issue. This is where cars that aren't currrently being called for lading or cars excess to the railroad's traffic are stored. These yards need more short tracks since it's likely that a dispatcher may call for a specific car when an order comes in. Digging through 20' or 30' long tracks can be a real chore for a switch crew compared to 3' or 4' long tracks. If you are madeling a large layout, which it appears that you plan to do, you'll need space for both types of yards.

exactly why I asked the ?, you prob. saved me a headache later on.

I will have to add some shorter tracks as you noted above. Photo 1 & 2 reflect 30' running feet of triple track and a 4th track comes in which then makes a U-turn of 32" to 38" radious (up against the farthest wall) then heading back into the yard (pic3). Far track left is runs through and 2 tracks right run through as well. Backing out of the yard I can use the cross over seen far right. The non-attached track is where I am putting a large engine facility modeled after the Neff UP in KC.

Thanks for your help.

Looks good so far. I wish I that kind of room. :) The only suggestion I'd make is that you add a few more crossovers deep in the yard so a switcher can reach any track while still pulling cars from another track. If you don't do this, you'll have to drag long cuts of cars all the way to the yard throat and tie up the ladder tracks while doing so. I'd put them just about in the middle of the third photo and ad another oe near the end of the yard, say five car lengths for the end of the right most track. In a yard that big, you can't have too monay corssovers and they wll save a ton of headaches later.

Looks good so far. I wish I that kind of room. :) The only suggestion I'd make is that you add a few more crossovers deep in the yard so a switcher can reach any track while still pulling cars from another track. If you don't do this, you'll have to drag long cuts of cars all the way to the yard throat and tie up the ladder tracks while doing so.

When designing on 3rd PlanIt its actually something I wanted to incorporate into the design. There is enough room for me to back out a long cut w/o tie up of main lines in that U-turn at the far wall (pic 2). Like the real deal in KC trains have to wait at times for track to free up in front. With the four 30+ foot sections of track (pic 1 and left side of pic 2) I have enough space to route trains through any switching for the most part on the 3 pass through tracks in the yard.

Of course when a train is being put together it will present some challange but I think that part of the fun. I will also add the 3rd pic you can see an yellow athearn box, I have another section in front of that yet to be built which the pass through tracks merge into 2 and then loop back around into pic #2. Kinda like a ballon (est @ 25' running feet). Less than 1/2 of the track and bench work is built. Again thanks for the imput, those shorter tracks are going to be incorporated into the design. A couple of 6 to 8' storage tracks.......

I totally agree with Jim. I have a main yard that has seven (HO scale), 9 foot long tracks and sometimes when it gets busy, becomes a real bottleneck when trying to cherrypick cars. I also have one other smaller main yard with four, 9 footers, other local yards with 3-4 foot tracks. I much rather work the shorter tracks.

Contrary to many forum posts, several railroads use the main as the lead on yards. Permission is granted by the Dispatcher for a quick move or for a longer time frame. There is a name for this, but I can't think of it right now (help!):confused: . I'm certainly not saying that it is ideal, but it is realistic to have this. It just requires good traffic management.:)

Back