laptop power supply

Cobra GT

Is it possible to use a laptop power supply to boost track amps to what ever the supply is rated for? I have the nce power cab w/ the 2 amp supply. I have several laying around no being used thanks.

Is it possible to use a laptop power supply to boost track amps to what ever the supply is rated for? I have the nce power cab w/ the 2 amp supply. I have several laying around no being used thanks.

I've seen laptop power supplies recommended as DCC power supplies (by the manufacturers even) because they are very good quality power sources, generally. They keep a nice constant voltage with very little fluctuation. I personally bought a stand-alone regulated power supply because it had a lot more beef to it, but for smaller layouts those are apparently very good to use.

Look at the power rating on the power supply, if there is one. I'd buy a regulated power supply, but if you want to experiment, run a loco you don't really like first.

There is always going to be a rating as far as amps and voltage on the laptop power supply. Use that instead of experimenting.

You can use one as the main power supply, but not as a booster. The power supply mounts between your wall outlet and the command station. A booster mounts between your command station and your track. They are not the same thing.

Mark.

The power cab kit does not come with a booster so I need a booster to get more amps to track is this correct? I bought the power cab because it was $131 I guess I shoulx have throw down and spent the $ 400 plus and got the booster and supply with the pro cab but when I started the layout was small now I have started on my next one and it is about 40' with at least 4 lines and yards and other stuff. This worst than try I kick a bad habit when is enough enough? lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't confuse a power supply with a booster. The two are not the same thing at all!

The NCE Power Cab must not be used with any power supply except the one that comes with it. You can not simply add a higher current power supply and expect the Power Cab to work properly.

However, your Power Cab will never be obsolete. There are always upgrade paths if you need more current.

For example, on my layout, I am using a Tam Valley Depot booster with my Power Cab. It is a basic 5 Amp booster, and it works great!

If you want to stay exclusively with NCE products, you could add a NCE SB5 smart booster. Your Power Cab would become the throttle on the SB5 5 Amp system.

Even if you decide to purchase a NCE Power Pro system, your Power Cab can be used as a throttle with the new system.

Again, your Power Cab will never be obsolete, no matter how large your layout becomes.

- Jeff

Short answer is, "yes". Long answer is that you have to check the voltage output of the computer power supply. Many (IBM, Dell, HP) are 19.5V. Make certain your DCC system can accept that many volts as input. My NCE PRO manual says it will accept up to 22V, but I would never want to run it at the maximum, so a 19.5V would work great.

Next is that you might not be gaining as much as you think. A standard 45W lap top supply at 19.5V is only 2.3 amps. A 60W computer power supply at 19.5 V is only 3 amps. So I would say to make it worth your while you need a 90W or 120W computer power supply.

Edit Edit Edit - I rechecked the POWER PRO manual and it says 18V max, so this would NOT work on my system. It is a different system manual I was reading the other day that is 22V.

Short answer is, "yes". Long answer is that you have to check the voltage output of the computer power supply. Many (IBM, Dell, HP) are 19.5V. Make certain your DCC system can accept that many volts as input. My NCE PRO manual says it will accept up to 22V, but I would never want to run it at the maximum, so a 19.5V would work great.

Next is that you might not be gaining as much as you think. A standard 45W lap top supply at 19.5V is only 2.3 amps. A 60W computer power supply at 19.5 V is only 3 amps. So I would say to make it worth your while you need a 90W or 120W computer power supply.

You are still confusing power supply with booster. A command station (or in this case the Power Cab) is regulated to 2 amps. You could use a 50 amp power supply and it will still be regulated to 2 amps by the circuitry in the command station. The command station will only use the amps that it is designed for, regardless of what the source is.

If you want to increase the amperage output to your layout, you must use an appropriate Booster for the system. The booster passes the DCC signal packets and boosts the available current to what-ever the booster is rated at.

Mark.

In the specific case of the NCE Power Cab, the over-current protection of the unit is shared between its power supply and the handheld controller. If you substitute a different power supply, you risk damage to the Power Cab if you attempt to draw too much current from it. It can't protect itself without the factory-provided power supply.

- Jeff

You are still confusing power supply with booster. A command station (or in this case the Power Cab) is regulated to 2 amps. You could use a 50 amp power supply and it will still be regulated to 2 amps by the circuitry in the command station. The command station will only use the amps that it is designed for, regardless of what the source is.

If you want to increase the amperage output to your layout, you must use an appropriate Booster for the system. The booster passes the DCC signal packets and boosts the available current to what-ever the booster is rated at.
No, I am not confusing the two. I was unaware that the Power Cab was so limited as compared to the Power Pro. I thought the only difference was the cab bus protocol. Guess I'll have to stop recommending the Power Cab system to people.

Hmm-m-m ... I'm not sure why you would stop recommending the Power Cab. You can always add a booster to increase its current capability, as I have done on my layout. And you can also connect additional throttles for increased operating flexibility.

If you later decide you want NCE's larger Power Pro system, your Power Cab becomes a Pro Cab throttle on the larger system.

In short, the Power Cab is a fully capable starter system that can be expanded or can become part of a larger NCE system. In any case, the Power Cab does not become obsolete.

Longer explanation:
The Power Cab is a DCC command station and a Pro Cab throttle built into a single handheld unit. Like most any DCC command station, it can be used to drive a booster if you need more current.

If you connect the Power Cab to the larger NCE Power Pro system, the command station inside the Power Cab shuts down, and only the Pro Cab portion of the Power Cab remains active. Thus, the Power Cab functions as both a command station and throttle when used standalone, and it functions as a throttle only when connected to a Power Pro.

If you watch a standalone Power Cab's display when it starts up, you'll see it first boots up as a Pro Cab (throttle) only. After a few seconds, when it determines it is not connected to a command station, the Power Cab boots up its own built-in command station.

In my opinion, NCE erred in choosing names for its products that invite confusion. Power Cab, Power Pro, Pro Cab ... yikes!

- Jeff

Thanks guys I understand now it looks like it is the sb5 to supply my larger layout. Thanks again for your info. Peace.
What would be better db5, pb5, or sb5?

Now that is settled I need to figure what I need to control turnouts, signals and lighting, any suggestions. I guess I can highjack my own thread.

Cobra -

You want the SB5. It is specifically designed by NCE as an upgrade path for the Power Cab.

For turnout control, you have a few options. I went with servos controlled by Quad boards from Tam Valley Depot. These have worked well for me and are a bit less costly than Tortoises for the same capability.

- Jeff

In my opinion, NCE erred in choosing names for its products that invite confusion. Power Cab, Power Pro, Pro Cab ... yikes!
Totally agree there. So easy to cross over the names without even realizing the other person is talking about the "other" system.

Back