Kato SD70MAC Conrail blue

CSX blue. 😇

There are a couple of guys that model Conrail. One is in the process of moving into a new house but pops up now and then to see what is going on. Hopefully he can give you an answer.

This isn’t going to be much help but…I really could not find a perfect match for Kato Conrail blue. But before I go any further, what area of the loco needs painted?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this would help, I used this on my Athearn, it was a perfect match.

1687034289138.png

Paint matching is not an exact science. There is a lot of subjectivity involved. What looks spot on to one person may look totally off to another. The light that the model is viewed under also plays a part. The same model will appear to have a different shade of color under incandescent, fluorescent, and outdoor light. Weathering and fading also factor in.
I once saw a picture (wish I had saved it) of 5 full scale Union Pacific locomotives on the same track. They were all fresh out of the paint shop, and no two had the exact shame shade of Armour yellow!
Sometimes you just have to get close, and go with it!
Badger MODELflex #16-29 is Contrail Blue. I just finished painting some UP locomotives with their Armour Yellow and Harbour Mist Gray, and they looked pretty good.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delayrd reply. Thank you for all of the help and advice im trying to find paint for wire grab irons thatvi am considering using rather that the supplied plastic grab irons. I find them verybtedious to apply and M wondering if wire may be easier. I appreciate everything

Back