Kato questions

Fazby

Hi All,

I received a Kato NW2 (HO) from a friend and it runs great. However, I noticed that only one truck picks up power. When cleaning the wheels, I roll one truck on a paper towel wet with denatured alcohol, and rev the power. Worked great for the front truck, but when I rolled the rear truck onto the paper towel, the no power was received.

In all of my other engines, one side's wheels pick up power and the other side returns it. Is Kato different?

How the devil do you get the shell off of these things? I can't seem to get tabs to release and don't want to break anything. (Guy at the LHS says he has broken some...)

Thanks!

Pete

Eventually answered my own questions.....

1. Turns out that one of the contact leaf springs was bent away from proper contact. Easy fix once I figured out how to get into the engine. Creeps along now and doesn't hang up at frogs.

2. Entry was easy once I was determined. I decided that I was going to get into this thing even if if got broken along the way. I pulled the coupler boxes and pried gently at nose and tail. Pretty much a friction fit.

I actually had the same questions about my NW2. I guess I'll have to be more determined to get mine open...I tried once and was terrified I would break something.

It came down to a choice: an engine that doesn't run well or a good runner with a less than perfect shell. As it turned out, nothing broke.

The shell does not have to come apart at all other than pulling the coupler box. That is just for clearance.

Ya do this a few times and ya start to gain some confidence. Would happen faster if useful diagrams accompanied the engines. Great diagram for where to add railings, but useless for disassembly for lubrications etc.

Back