Kato Mikado dc to dcc need info

usmcdj

I have a new mikado by kato, and I was wondering if anyone had any input on installing a decoder. I have digitraxx zephyr, and am looking on getting all of my locomotives dcc. I am also looking for other Locomotives(steam) in Nscale, NKP 765, C&O 614, N&W 1218, UP 844, Pere Marquette 1225. Any help in finding these Locomotives would be awesome.

I'd suggest that you give the folks at www.tonytrainexchange.com and talk over the engines you have and what quality of decoder you want. They can recommend the best decoder for your budget and also provide installation instructions. They will also install decoders in your engines if the whole things sounds too daunting. N scale decoders, especially for steam engines, are fairly specialized, so talking to some experts will be a big help. If you decide to order all your decoders at once, they will give you a decent discount as well.

I used this as the reference for installing decoders into my Mikados: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/nkato_mikado.htm

I used the Digitrax DZ123.

Its a little daunting at first, but if you take your time you can do it no problem. Did I mention this was my first ever decoder install? I went to straight to the steamer before I did the "easier" diesels.

I forgot to add - pick yourself up a roll of Kapton tape as well. Its like electrical tape version of scotch tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your info I will keep it handy when i am ready to get to it. I do have one question though, once the decoder is installed do you still have to program the loco or can you run it straight after under 03 and then go to the change loco address?

It'll run as soon as its been installed under 03. No need to really program anything at the get-go. Just change the address to something else (and write it down!) so you don't have two locos wanting to have the same number.

*** Make sure that you test it right after installation on DC AND DCC tracks, but before you've reassembled it.

Back