kadee conversions

kevinjr

i have an older model power high nose unit that runs good question is is it correct to mount the couplers to the trucks or body mount them the older horn hook couplers are located in the trucks thanks for any info

If you can get the horn hooks out of the trucks I'd say mount the kadees there. I don't know what Model Power does but I remember old Bachmanns had tiny screws holding in the couplers.

these had a cover in the trucks holding the hook horn in with some cutting i could get the kadee to sit in there but heres another scenario if i have body mounted cars they wont line up right?

I am not an expert, but I modified a cheap Bachman 030 by taking off the cowcatcher, carving the plastic with a razor blade, inserting the Kadee coupler, and reglueing the unit to the correct height; 1/32" above the tracks (bottom of the hose). To glue it, I used the medium viscosity clear super Jet, a tweezers, and laid cardboard directly on the track, put the train on the track. and balanced the coupler on top of the cardboard. I now have a working nuckle coupler in front of my locomotive!

i have an older model power high nose unit that runs good question is is it correct to mount the couplers to the trucks or body mount them the older horn hook couplers are located in the trucks thanks for any info

Hi Kevin, the best answer I can give you is " do whatever you have to to mount the Kadee coupler correctly."
What I do (an some Athearns require it also) is use a piece of plastic cemented to the body to get the right height. Make sure when you drill the hole for the mounting screw it is correctly located. To get the right height I file away some of the new mounting pad. Attached is a photo of how I did mine.

Cheers
Willis

Dnt knw if its to late or not but seem to me yu have a unit like one I had I have 2 f40's that had horn hook couplers, I switched them out when some scenemasters magnetic knukle couplers (433-1436) for 2 pair only 3.98 and ur LHS mayb able 2 get them cheaper for yu cause I got 10 pair for about 5.96 and walthers is sellin them fo 7.98 for the 10(433-1427) kadee use to have an switch out direct fit or exchange but I lost the part number

Back