Kadee 30 series HO coupler help needed!

fast_ian

Hi,

So, it turns out that good ol' #5's + box is too big for my kitbashed GE44 :(

After much research, it turns out that a 30 series (small g/box) will fit very nicely. My problem is I think I've already messed up two of the torsion springs trying to get em mounted! :eek: - The instructions say to "pull" the "X" in the spring legs apart to form a U shape in the box - Man, am I struggling to do that without messing up the spring!.....

- Any "tips"? I'm sure it can't be as hard as I'm making it!.... I even looked at the Kadee "HO coupler mounting jig", but that's for #5's and their ilk only - I'd happily pay the $8 to solve this one, but it's not gonna help with these.

TIA for any comments,
Cheers,
Ian

Simple solution would be to not use the springs. Real locomotives and cars do not have centering springs. Sure you will have to kick your coupler over to get it to mate but thats a sacrifice that caould be worth it.

Simple solution would be to not use the springs. Real locomotives and cars do not have centering springs. Sure you will have to kick your coupler over to get it to mate but thats a sacrifice that caould be worth it.

Hmmmm..... Hadn't thought of it that way before - Thanks!

"Food for thought"....... Anyone else using this approach?

Cheers,
Ian

Put the spring on the stud with the hole and hold it with your finger. Use a small tweezers to put the lowest spring leg in one hole, than grab the other one and spread the spring apart and drop it in the other hole. With a little practice it's pretty easy.
Doug

Back