Just starting out, should I start with starter set?

For the most part, I'm just a beginner in 'Railroad Modelling' myself.
If you are talking about something like this:
Kato.gif

Then, I would say 'No, it's not a good idea', for a number of reason's.

1. The money can be better spent on individual components that better suit your needs.
2. You'd likely only get minimal steel track in the kit and would want to change to nickel silver flex track if you really got into it.
3. Purchasing individual engines and rolling stock ensures you get the railroad you want.

That's the mistake I made when I started. I bought a starter set, and all I'm using out of that set, is the locomotive. Never even set it up to try it. Rather, I just went ahead a purchased individual components, that gave me a lot more. I could have used the 300.00 I spent on the set to get other railroad stuff that I really wanted.

That's just another beginners point of view, though. I suppose it really depends on where you want to go with the hobby.
My 2 cents.

If it's made by Kato, you can't go wrong. Virtually every thing Kato makes is high quality.
Athearn and Atlas both make decent equipment, so any starter sets they offer should also be good quality.
I'd steer clear of Bachmann starter sets. Although they do make some fairly decent locos and rolling stock, these items are usually not included in their starter sets. Also recommend staying away from any and all Bachmann track. It can give one headaches (maybe more so the turnouts than the track).

Just my opinion, others may vary. Hope this helps.

I don't think a starter set would be a bad idea, especially if you can find one with your preferred road name that includes a locomotive that you would have purchased individually.

It would be easy to add to it also get you up and having fun right away.

Kato has a very good reputation.

Dave LASM

We really need more information to give you the best answer.

What is your primary goal/purpose of your layout? Are you looking to build something relatively small with "pre-set" components (i.e. fixed track lengths and curves, found in starter sets vs. flexible track for larger freeform modeling)? Or are you trying to eventually build a large room-size layout?

Are you interested in getting something setup quickly so you can mostly just run trains around? Or are you more interested in the building and modeling aspects, i.e. creating a realistic operating layout with scenery, buildings, yards, sidings, etc. where the fun for you is in the designing and creating, versus a more basic setup for running trains?

Starter sets are good ways to get your feet wet, and Kato is a reliable brand. With one purchase, you get the components needed to set up a small running layout. If you're doing something basic, like on a 8 x 10' piece of plywood, and just want to get things going, then go for a starter set.

But if you're aiming for something larger, something like a room- or moderately-sized model layout, then there are some drawbacks. Most starter sets have track that is not compatible with other brands or styles of track. I'm not an N-scale expert, but I believe if you get that Kato set, in the future you will pretty much be restricted to adding the same style of track made by Kato. They do make an adapter, but I'm not certain whether it can connect to any type of flextrack, or just Kato brand track.

Finally, are you in Japan? Reason I ask is the picture you posted of the Kato M2 set is of a Japan-market starter set. I don't believe that power pack is compatible with US or Canadian electrical systems, so don't order that unless you're in Japan.

Good luck to you.

I agree that Kato makes great stuff.

Unfortunately, other manufacturers have a long history of putting the poorest quality items in their starter kits. The result was usually a frustrated newcomer to the hobby who ends up abandoning hope of ever having a train that actually runs.

I'm sure Kato also puts their least costly (to them) locomotives in their starter kits, but they will still be fully functional and will not be junk.

The other good things about Kato, is that they have other kits you can buy to augment what you already have. The only trouble with that, is it limits your creativity a bit. But that is easily overcome when the time is right.

The best thing about starter kits, is they allow you to dip your toe in the water before making a larger commitment to the hobby.

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with a Kato starter kit. It will be priced below the aggregate of what it would cost to buy the exact same items individually. And a basic starter set will not likely contain any pieces of track that you wouldn't want to re-use in a different track plan.

The biggest down side to a starter set, would probably be the controller that comes with it... is it DC or DCC, and if it's the type you want, will it scale with you if you decide to expand and expand. They will all work right out of teh box, but you may end up having to upgrade down teh road. BUt if you stick with the hobby, you will most likely end up making wholesale changes as you progress anyway...

So.. I say go for it. It gets you started with the least amount of hassle, and if you go with Kato, you will not de let down by inferior product.

Kato starter sets are very very good value for money, very reliable and easily expandible. It'll allow you to get something up and running to keep your enthusiasm up whilst working out what you want to do long term.

You can build a full layout from Unitrack, have a look on Youtube for examples and inspiration, and careful detailing and weathering can make it look almost as good as the best handbuilt track out there. You are only limited by your imagination.

If you move away from Unitrack for your actual layout, you can keep the track and controller for testing (its essential to have a separate test track in my opinion), or you can sell it, there is a huge second hand market for it.

I would guess that the vast majority of us on this forum (and others) started our journeys with a starter set.

Kato starter sets are very very good value for money, very reliable and easily expandible. It'll allow you to get something up and running to keep your enthusiasm up whilst working out what you want to do long term.

You can build a full layout from Unitrack, have a look on Youtube for examples and inspiration, and careful detailing and weathering can make it look almost as good as the best handbuilt track out there. You are only limited by your imagination.

If you move away from Unitrack for your actual layout, you can keep the track and controller for testing (its essential to have a separate test track in my opinion), or you can sell it, there is a huge second hand market for it.

I would guess that the vast majority of us on this forum (and others) started our journeys with a starter set.
I actually started out with the Bachmann starter set, as a Christmas under - the - tree layout. I expanded it for a couple years, made the 4 x 8, eventually sold off all that stuff and started building a bigger layout. I had the layout well attached to the 3/4" plywood base and sold that layout with a few buildings attached after advertising it in the local paper. Not sure why, but the buyer could not believe I made it, probably because I was renting a trailer house at the time. Lots of stereotypes out there.

Once I got more familiarity with what is available in terms of kits and track, I gradually migrated to my preferred road names and locomotives. Although all my original Bachmann stuff has been sold, I still have a number of my early (2012, 2013) build kits (completed mind you) on the layout.

It is how deep is your pocket,the starter kit gets you up and running,but in all likely hood you will upgrade if you model,but the choices for upgrading cost more so what to choose, I think the person who said choose a starter kit with a loco you like is spot on, do not get a big starter kit, expect much to be cone redundant or donated to kids.
It will help you to see if you actually like the hobby, which is addictive, then check the size you have available,and you physical limitations
if you are dextrious with good eyesight any guage
if you are all fingers and ham handed do not go small at least HO. because if you like it to be DCC and with sound you will be opening them up and putting in chips.
If you have any art skills or handyman skills then likely you are good with your hands and n gauge will give you smaller parts but you can fit in a larger idea.
Are you happy with a round rounds or do you aspire to a all singing dancing with house kits scratchbuilt because surprisingly these will eventually impact where you go, and walking blindly into an expensive kit that you no longer want, and might not be able to pass or will mean selling it cheap,
Planning is my favourite part, so 1, check your space and you need a work area, and a happy wife,some men’s wife like them modelling they know where they are lol, then decide on your skills, better skills more complicated, lower skills play safe until you can absorb.
Luckily this forum has a good number of talented people, so you should pick sone brains before you jump.
Start a thread, point out you have blah blah skills, you have such and such aspirations.
Do not be forced to do stuff that is expensive , not sonething you like, because someone tells you to.
Plus if you can get the wife interested in any way what so ever, you will get less aggro,and a bigger wallet…wiggles eyebrows. I know this because my husband starts husband started a railway layout and suckered me into it.
Oh and no one should expect you to hit the ground running,if you can bonus, just enjoy,get advice and remember rule one, it’s your layout and your rules,

I actually started out with the Bachmann starter set, as a Christmas under - the - tree layout. I expanded it for a couple years, made the 4 x 8, eventually sold off all that stuff and started building a bigger layout. I had the layout well attached to the 3/4" plywood base and sold that layout with a few buildings attached after advertising it in the local paper. Not sure why, but the buyer could not believe I made it, probably because I was renting a trailer house at the time. Lots of stereotypes out there.

Once I got more familiarity with what is available in terms of kits and track, I gradually migrated to my preferred road names and locomotives. Although all my original Bachmann stuff has been sold, I still have a number of my early (2012, 2013) build kits (completed mind you) on the layout.
And has a nice thread on his layout on forum.

I started with a HO Bachmann starter kit since I wanted to try out the hobby. It certainly gave me a good start, but once I decided to build a layout I ended up getting some different stuff. Still using my starter set locomotive, although I intend to go DCC once I finish the layout track acquisitions. I have used and intend to keep using my starter set track as a Xmas under the tree display going forward so it's still going to used.

If I had decided to do N scale, I would've bought a Kato starter set for sure. Perhaps that will be my intro to N scale?

If you know what you want to do at the start, I agree with others that it can save you money by allowing you to buy exactly what you want. Definitely figure out the desired plan and how much space you have to work with in building a layout. That has the biggest impact on your plans IMHO.

The way i did it was to buy the M2 and a cheap litte "kato pocket line train" to play and test with. Then buy a full train separately, because most of the starter sets including locos (not sure about the american ones that McLeod showed, they may be better) have only a basic oval and very short trains.
I am collecting the high speet trains and the starter sets include only the M1 set + a 4 car "basic" set (for the shinkansen or ICE trains) which you then have to add to later to make it more of a realistic length.
However with the M2 you get 2 sets of points and a bit more track for less money. Separately buying one of the 11-009 chassis trains are great to play with while you think about your layout and can then buy a full loco and carriage kit. I mean the 2 sets of points alone are worth 60 odd Euros, and you get a bigger oval than with the loco starter sets. Plus when you buy a full Kato train you get a lovely vinyl "book" with your train in it.

Last edited:
The way i did it was to buy the M2 and a cheap litte "kato pocket line train" to play and test with. Then buy a full train separately, because most of the starter sets including locos (not sure about the american ones that McLeod showed, they may be better).
I am collecting the high speet trains and the starter sets include only the M1 set + a 4 car "basic" set (for the shinkansen or ICE trains) which you then have to add to later to make it more of a realistic length.
However with the M2 you get 2 sets of points and a bit more track for less money. Separately buying one of the 11-009 chassis trains are great to play with while you think about your layout and can then buy a full loco and carriage kit. I mean the 2 sets of points alone are worth 60 odd Euros, and you get a bigger oval than with the loco starter sets. Plus when you buy a full Kato train you get a lovely vinyl "book" with your train in it.
I do like that idea very much thank you!

Starter sets are okay so long as what is in them is what you need. Is the rolling stock what is required?
In my opinion a circle of track is pointless if the only space available is a shelf.

When I started 40+ years ago I bought a starter set. The only thing I discarded was the battery controller as I purchased a better one.
I still have the rolling stock, and most of the track. (Some I had to replace over time.) I have, not so long ago, replaced the controller with three new ones. My son now has the old one. :)

David

For the most part, I'm just a beginner in 'Railroad Modelling' myself.
If you are talking about something like this:
View attachment 170079
Then, I would say 'No, it's not a good idea', for a number of reason's.

1. The money can be better spent on individual components that better suit your needs.
2. You'd likely only get minimal steel track in the kit and would want to change to nickel silver flex track if you really got into it.
3. Purchasing individual engines and rolling stock ensures you get the railroad you want.

That's the mistake I made when I started. I bought a starter set, and all I'm using out of that set, is the locomotive. Never even set it up to try it. Rather, I just went ahead a purchased individual components, that gave me a lot more. I could have used the 300.00 I spent on the set to get other railroad stuff that I really wanted.

That's just another beginners point of view, though. I suppose it really depends on where you want to go with the hobby.
My 2 cents.
Guy, I have never seen N scale track that was anything except nickel silver. I can tell you, Kato does not make steel track in any scale. The set you have pictured is a great starter set, though I think one that has freight cars instead of passenger would be a better starting point. The freight cars seem to be more forgiving of track issues, and they will tend to stay coupled more reliably.
In fact, I have one of their freight starter sets consisting of a GE freight engine and a handful of cars, with an oval of track, and power pack. It has been very reliable.

I am just starting out and was wondering if a KOTA N scale starter set is a good start.
Pick one as it will start you down the road.

In my case, I have never been a 'canned anything' type and choose to 'roll my own'. Have I made mistakes? Sure, many times and probably still will make more. I like the roll my own part as it keeps my options open. My 1st excursion into HO scale was about 1964 of which I bought a pile of track with two engines and various rolling stock at a garage sale. Tyco was the manufacture. Still have the GP9 and it works after all those years; don't remember what happened to the FT though.

Just remember, what ever you decide it probably will not be caste-in-stone as with this hobby ( or addiction as the case may be ) forces change. Just run with what you have/will have and worry later.

Later

I started out with a Bachmann starter set. The only thing I have kept from it is the track. Learned how to tweak the turnouts to make them work properly. Power pack replaced by a MRC. The locomotive crapped out. The cheap rolling stock became painting fodder. Run Atlas and Kato locomotives. Rolling stock is anything but Bachmann. The only thing they’ve made that’s given me no problems is their railing ramp! 😁😁

I started out with a Bachmann starter set. The only thing I have kept from it is the track. Learned how to tweak the turnouts to make them work properly. Power pack replaced by a MRC. The locomotive crapped out. The cheap rolling stock became painting fodder. Run Atlas and Kato locomotives. Rolling stock is anything but Bachmann. The only thing they’ve made that’s given me no problems is their railing ramp! 😁😁
When i told my friend i was interested in getting back into it and suggested Nscale i said i was looking at Bachman and he said
:eek: 👈😠 " NOOOOOOOOOO!" as if i had had asked if warm, flat, day old beer is ok to drink.
Sounds like his Kato (or Atlas) advice was sound 😆 I do have an older second hand metal cast "Graham Farish" by bachman train that seems to run ok though but i hear their modular track is horrible.

Last edited:

Back