Just Plug Lighting System

Rico

BN Modeller
Now that I’m back working on the layout I find that alternating between modeling, scenery, wiring, etc. keeps me motivated.
I had a sizeable credit at a hobby shop to use up so thought I’d try Woodland Scenics “Just Plug” system.
Its a bit pricey compared to my usual “from scratch” method but it definitely makes the job way easier. (and faster!)
They have excellent tutorials on line
Here’s a couple pictures of the progress so far…

Here’s the components temporarily mounted on a piece of plywood for now:
96E0DD45-80A9-47FB-BBD7-93438EB2345B.jpeg

This is how I mounted the LED to the interior. I forgot to paint the inside black (D'oh!) so I applied black duct tape to the walls. I’ll need to touch up where required.
86107A93-BA03-4F01-B1F1-631171FF4CF0.jpeg

And how it looks so far, you can see where I’ve modelled the realistic glowing concrete walls of the prototype:
E232C149-CB9D-4C6C-85C8-E6AF2908F8C1.jpeg

Anyone else is using this setup? Please show us your results here!

Last edited:
I have been stalking this system...PLEASE keep up the comments. Wondering how it integrates to DCC (I have ESU)... thanks for posting man...looks beautiful!

No, not specifically, although it is similar....from my reading the hubs have a control (ctrl) port that plugs into DCC...can't find much documentation on how you actually use this with DCC... Searching for documentation online but haven't found yet. The system sure looks nice, compact and modular...just wondering about the DCC integration...(not really necessary IMHO but nice...) In a prior life I was a robotics engineer, so, well, I geek out about this stuff...

No, not specifically, although it is similar....from my reading the hubs have a control (ctrl) port that plugs into DCC...can't find much documentation on how you actually use this with DCC... Searching for documentation online but haven't found yet. The system sure looks nice, compact and modular...just wondering about the DCC integration...(not really necessary IMHO but nice...) In a prior life I was a robotics engineer, so, well, I geek out about this stuff...
Ok, We have members who are far more knowledgeable than me about that type of system, someone will be along shortly who can help.

I am guessing since the only thing I can find on the internet/Woodland Scenics site is "
To connect the Just Plug Lighting System to DCC, use a Connecting Cable .
Plug one end of the Connecting Cable into the CTRL Port on a Light Hub or Expansion Hub (JP5702). The other end of the Connecting Cable will be connected to a DCC relay unit (per DCC manufacturer instructions)."

Likely its just a turn on off thing, probably the whole module, but unsure? I don't like assuming/guessing... :) Hence my asking!

I am guessing since the only thing I can find on the internet/Woodland Scenics site is "
To connect the Just Plug Lighting System to DCC, use a Connecting Cable .
Plug one end of the Connecting Cable into the CTRL Port on a Light Hub or Expansion Hub (JP5702). The other end of the Connecting Cable will be connected to a DCC relay unit (per DCC manufacturer instructions)."

Likely its just a turn on off thing, probably the whole module, but unsure? I don't like assuming/guessing... :) Hence my asking!
At a guess, and that's what this is, a guess, using an F button on the throttle will switch your lights on and off, which I'm sure, someone would find useful, but I'm not one of them, a simple toggle switch works for me.

Yeah, probably like Smudge said ;) I too like push buttons, but was just wondering. I am a long way away from lighting...still laying down bridges, turnouts and track ;)

Okay I ran one extension so far this morning and played around with some LEDs with shades.
Normally I would use my own power supply, wires, lights, etc. but having the ability to go modular with dimmers on every plug is where this system “really shines”. (yup I did that on purpose)
I’m looking forward to trying the sequencing light hub next and having random rooms turning on and off!

58493633-0935-4F70-85A6-B1FA98EAA3F1.jpeg

I was digging around and found some fixtures I received from china.
I’m not sure what voltage the plug system puts out but I cut the resistor off and just wired them in with the accessory plug…

CD24C0AC-31AB-44CE-A667-E358264D56F4.jpeg

And here’s how they look so far. I’ll play around with the dimmer feature and room lighting later. Pretty happy with the results so far! (no the tracks don’t go under the building, its just sitting on the layout)

31B8F6FC-7AF5-4CF0-8CCC-1A41B06CBA67.jpeg

A2E98155-0B64-44BC-884E-4E21A3B01032.jpeg

I was digging around and found some fixtures I received from china.
I’m not sure what voltage the plug system puts out but I cut the resistor off and just wired them in with the accessory plug…

View attachment 160509

And here’s how they look so far. I’ll play around with the dimmer feature and room lighting later. Pretty happy with the results so far! (no the tracks don’t go under the building, its just sitting on the layout)

View attachment 160510

View attachment 160511
Most Chinese pre-wired lamps are for a 12v power supply, but I believe the led's are only 3v.

Back