Just for Fun ... for now

My 'double' outside line is 24" the inside 22" on the curves
With only 2" between the rails I think you might end up with some side swiping issues with the larger locos and cars. Might want to take it slow at first until you figure out exactly which ones can fit by the others.

What can I say ... I started my HO layout with Atlas and had it 98% completed less 2 turnouts. Started looking at things being said here and taking a closer look at the Peco Turnouts and the entire new Atlas crap was ripped up and thrown out!

What more can I say ;)

You're a better man than I, Wombat. My layout has a few dozen Atlas turnouts, and two Pecos that I bought because Atlas didn't have the high-radius curved turnouts I needed. Suffice it to say I'll never buy another Atlas turnout... But I'm not ripping the thing up to replace 'em all anytime soon either... Just replace them through 'attrition' (or more likely, when I rip it all down and start over)

With only 2" between the rails I think you might end up with some side swiping issues with the larger locos and cars. Might want to take it slow at first until you figure out exactly which ones can fit by the others.

LOL! It IS an issue and I'll be taking it a bit wider between tracks from now on, it's a SHOCK when they are passing and one STOPS with 'that sound' of plastic striking plastic! Tiny tanks all over the roadway! THE HORROR!
WIN_20151114_090215.JPG

One of the guys at The AMRA club has been building an N scale layout for some months in about the same size as this one. I know it's not double main but he has worked in a helix at one end with 2 levels (I think) coming off it. I'll take some pics and measurements, just for interest sake.

Toot'n,

I did give a helix some thought when I looked at the area I had BUT building this using a new bench work method was "scary enough" without adding more "terror" to the mix :D

Horseman,

This is a problem that I have encountered with my track as well. Is there a "formula" of some type that allows you to work out the room needed between parallel tracks to ensure clearance between passing trains?

I know a lot of that depends on the radius of the curve and length of rolling stock and how many cars are being run but there must be some sort of guide line at least.

You're a better man than I, Wombat. My layout has a few dozen Atlas turnouts, and two Pecos that I bought because Atlas didn't have the high-radius curved turnouts I needed. Suffice it to say I'll never buy another Atlas turnout... But I'm not ripping the thing up to replace 'em all anytime soon either... Just replace them through 'attrition' (or more likely, when I rip it all down and start over)

I'm not sure about being a better man than you, I think my ripping up the Atlas stuff was more a case of my loosing patience with Atlas than anything else. With that being said though, I have found Peco track (in fact almost every other track manufacturer) far superior in terms of realism and (more importantly) quality. It did cost me a little to do what I did, but I have absolutely NO regrets for doing it.

Seriously another N scale layout? Happy wife happy life.:)

Lynn,

To be direct with my answers ... "maybe" and yep. The title of this thread is "just for fun ... for now" and that is how this whole thing needs to be viewed, not as another layout for Wombat.

Generally Speaking:

With that being said, is there a chance that I will build another N Scale Layout ... sure there is BUT only a 50/50 bet that it will happen. IF a second N Scale is built, it wont be built until next year and most definitely wont be built until a new home is found for my/my wife's HO layout as any new layout will replace that HO layout.

Okay so, what we need to do is take a deep breathe, take a step backwards and look at this as nothing more than a "would like to do" thing rather than an "it is going to happen" build. As I said, there are a lot of things in play here,

1. For this to happen I need to either relocate the HO Layout or sell it off.
2. My wife comes up with great "on the spur of the moment" ideas but, has a bad tendency to change her mind when those ideas become or look like becoming a reality.
3. Would I prefer an N Scale Layout to a HO layout indoors - absolutely so yes, I would like this to happen. However, as Lynn said, a "Happy wife is a happy life" so if she says no to this when the time comes, then it is no.

Now despite all said above, there is that 50% chance of the HO layout being replaced with an N Scale Layout at some point. As such, I would like to be prepared in terms of a track plan for that possibility and that is why I started this thread, based on a 50/50 chance that this might happen.

Hey NG,

This is going to be such an "out there" layout (if it ever happens) one that is going to make people say - "jeeze, what is this guy doing?????? :D

So here is my first thought, with the above in mind ;)

N%20Scale%20Indoor%20Design%20One_zpsurlnpo62.png

Just in case you haven't picked up on it yet, that is ONE TRACK being a total length of 54'. Double up on that, then add the spurs and yard/s and a third track for the freight line and I will probably be up to something close to 200' plus of track.
I kinda like this plan, not too cluttered.

Hey Lynn,

I was only messing around with that, trying to get the maximum single line length I could with the view of double tracking it. As you know (I think) I'm not all that happy with my current N Scale plan after looking at John's. The thing I am not happy with is how the mainline "cuts the layout" in two parts which, I think, restricts any expansion. I have the same thing in this design and that is something I want to avert if I can.

I was only messing around with that, trying to get the maximum single line length I could with the view of double tracking it. As you know (I think) I'm not all that happy with my current N Scale plan after looking at John's. The thing I am not happy with is how the mainline "cuts the layout" in two parts which, I think, restricts any expansion. I have the same thing in this design and that is something I want to avert if I can.
The issue is that both your spaces "current" and "for fun" are more narrow than John's. Especially with 15" curves. Below is a design sheet for the "just for fun area", with how 15" radius curves can fit. You can see on the right hand side there are basically only three possible places for a curve.
Tonys.jpg

As for industry spaces on the current layout, I see several possibilities.
Possible Industries.jpg

Location C would obviously have reach problems, so if it was for more than "show" one would have to have the kadee type uncouplers. I envision a side of mountain type mine there so it would match the steep terrain there needed for the tunnels below.

As for location E, I always like using the corners to wedge in an industry. In that spot one doesn't have to model the entire industry just hints of it that give the viewer the idea of what is just "off layout".

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a "formula" of some type that allows you to work out the room needed between parallel tracks to ensure clearance between passing trains?
Yes there is, but most people don't want to do that much measuring and math. It is easier just to put down a curve. Put the longest car on that curve. For the inside curve mark the furthest out swing of the end of the car. Measure that distance from the center of the track. For the outside curve mark where the dead center of the car swings in. Measure that distance from the center of the track. Add the two numbers plus add an amount of how far you want the cars to miss each other. That will give a very close approximation of how far the tracks need to be apart.

Back