just curious

unkaboose

considering a basic oval set sells for 200 to 300.00 im curious as to what my set would be worth if i was to sell it as it sits. it has 2 working switchers and 2 working locos and all the rest. like i said just curious. 20150629_125736.jpg its DC 4x6 flex on curves and ez track on straights

As a general rule of thumb, used sells for around 10% of new, 20% if you're really lucky. So I'd say around $50, if you're lucky. Note that "new, old stock" and "TRO" items in a desirable model are exceptions.

Sadly, it would be worth more if you tore it apart and sold the pieces. You'd be lucky to get $200 for it as it sits, unless you found that "right buyer".

considering a basic oval set sells for 200 to 300.00 im curious as to what my set would be worth if i was to sell it as it sits. it has 2 working switchers and 2 working locos and all the rest.
I agree with the others. There is not much market for "built up" train layouts. I think you would be really lucky to get $100. As the prior posted stated you would probably do better to sell the trains and buildings separately. Track on a board is usually more of a "give away" item rather than something that can be sold.

wasnt really trying to sell it here , was just trying to see its value and decide if im goin to stay in this hobby due to space concerns

I'm with the others, if you have to get out of the hobby for space concerns then you'd be better of selling things of as single items. Your not going to get your money back but might get more than you would trying to sell it as a whole unit. Sad, but true unfortunately.

I think the main reason built up layouts don't do as well in the market place, is because everyone has their own idea of what they'd like in a layout.

I think the main reason built up layouts don't do as well in the market place, is because everyone has their own idea of what they'd like in a layout.
And to many building it is the "fun" part. Many never get into the operations element of the hobby.

thats what i found fun was the building, and if i had room to spread i would. im finding that i dont run the trains as much as when i started

I'll be a third to the thought that many people like the building and the creating of their railways. That is the "fun" part in my opinion as well. Once the layout is built, and while it is great to run and watch, the "hands on involvement" seems to go. Not saying running the trains is boring or anything, maybe just too routine for those of us who don't get involved with actual railroad operations.

I think that goes to why fully completed, no matter how good or detailed or expensive, railway layouts don't sell as well as individual components.

I just viewed the photo full-size. You may not like this, but here is what I see:
An Athearn SW7, worth maybe $20.
An Atlas/Roco SD24, again worth maybe $20.
An OLD AHM C Liner, worth maybe $5.
An old Bachmann (?) 4 wheel diesel switcher, again worth not much.
Several Model Power passenger cars, maybe $5 each.
A bunch of old Tyco and Bachmann and Model Power freight cars. Again, maybe $5 each.
A bunch of pre-made, low-end Plasticville buildings. New, they are maybe $20 or so each. Used, less.
A pair of $5 train set power packs.
A 4x6 piece of plywood.
Some plaster mountains.
There really isn't much there to entice anybody to want it. Maybe the best thing is to remove the stuff that isn't permanently attached, and put it either in the garage or basement, and bring it back out when you either have more room, time, and/or resources to devote to it.

Back